Tuesday, January 7, 2014

July 10, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)


I'm having a great time tonight.  Just got a package of new records from Brook's dad -- so I'm going thru them to see which ones meet with my "approval".  Right now I'm hearing the new  Brian Auger (Happiness Heartaches) & actually, while its better than most of the junk that's out right now -- I'm slightly disappointed.  It just doesn't have the magic of some of the others, at least, not for me. Next comes Michael Franks, one of my all-time favorites -- (are you familiar with him?)  His lyrics are what interest me most, I guess, although I like the music, too.  I'm saving that one for the "wee hours'.

Brook has been at the site much of this week.  He has a big test tomorrow.  What a grinder they put these people through -- 1/2 of his class has quit already -- and the other half aren't too pleased with things, either.  Hopefully, after August, when he qualifies, he'll be spared these long hours.  I feel so sorry for him.  He has no time to do any of his little putterings.  I'm sure I've harped on this before, though, so I'll fermez ma bouche!

I've started a project this week which I've had in mind for some time.  I've been getting Prevention since early 1973 and the issues were really building up.  Also I never did bother to get the index, so I've decided that I'm going to make my own reference source oft of them.  I bought 2 blank bound record books (lined) and am using 1 for A-L and the other for M-Z (obviously).  Then I'm abstracting each article & other facts I consider important about indiv. subjects (vitamins & which part of body they benefit most, herb remedies, etc.) and entering them in the ledgers.  Then, I'm getting rid of the magazines themselves.  I know someone who'd like them, so I won't have a guilty conscience about it.  And when I need some kind of information on vitamin K, then I'll just use my handy (& compact) ledger of facts!  (Of course, it's not a perfect system -- but then, it keeps me out of trouble, right?)  For most of the time, anyway... (I'm on 1976 now.)

This week, 2 of Brook's friends from the Pgh Westinghouse came out here -- not for a visit, but to stay.  They're living up in Idaho Falls.  These are the same two who got us into that rafting trip last spring.  And this afternoon, Greg called me & tired to entice me to go with them tomorrow on the Snake River trip -- (although I'm sure he knew I wouldn't react favorably to this!)  Luckily, I had a splendid excuse not to go -- work!  Also, I know Brook doesn't want to again, so that settled that anyway.  It will be nice having some buddies out here.  The only thing is -- Greg is really crazy. He says he'll get us all to go hang gliding in a few months, but I'll have to be in another dimension before I ever do that!  I'm afraid to go on a ferris wheel!  Of course, this would probably be the perfect past-time for such a [drawing of little bird] as yourself?!

Don't worry -- if you do get a come out here next year, I'll be sure to have the guest room all ready. We do actually have a guest room here -- with a bed, even.  Or would you rather have a perch?) And -- a window that opens -- (not like our other place) -- haven't we progressed?

Speaking of guests -- Brook's parents are coming on Saturday (July 16th) for a visit.  I intend to spend at least the next 5 days cleaning.  (Maybe nights, too!)  It will be nice having company.  We haven't planned exactly what to do  yet, but we will go down to Salt Lake for 2 days (yeah, seafood!) and , of course, we'll show them all around beautiful Pocatello.  I'll probably have to work at least 2 days that week, so that will limit us a bit.

I do wish I could talk to you sometime - but not just talk, I mean -- see & talk.  It would be nice. But then, I probably wouldn't have anything comforting to say, anyway.

I know you are restless where you are, but maybe it will be good for you in some immense way that is not visible yet?  I thought my 2-year stint at Seton Hill had only a negative side, but of course, now that I can put it into perspective, I can see some good.  (Not a hell of a lot, but some!) And your situation, as you know, is not nearly as negative as Seton Hell was -- this must make you see !  (Nothing could be worse than Seton Hell!)   I know that when your debts are paid, Paul the Phoenix will emerge and that freedom alone will make all the difference.

I had a wonderful dream the other night.  I feel like I was under a spell, so I don't really want to analyze it or anything, but a general outline, maybe.

A unicorn was the main character and he was my friend and he told me all these things.  They were puzzles -- and of course I can't remember what was so great about them.  But I remember that I was completely immersed in them and they were freedom-giving, or some such thing.  I just remember the images of this animal and his face was kind.  I just woke up with a good feeling about everything.  It was a very idealistic dream, but I suppose idealism is more comforting than realism anyway?  (That does not sound like an existentialist, does it?  Maybe I'm not one, after all?)

No comments:

Post a Comment