Thursday, July 25, 2013

November 24, 1976 (Letter from Grayce)




I'm so sorry about the recipes -- we really did like the 2-bean casserole.  Oh well ---"de gustibus non disputandem!"  As you can see, I don't give up easily -- we Taurus people are very stubborn!  If you're willing, my aunt's spinach pie recipe is yummy (I think).  Brook hates spinach & will positively not eat it plain.  Actually, the whole first time I made this pie, he made faces at it & would not even come near it.  There was a lot of low comedy flying around also -- but, when it was finished he did condescend not taste it & he liked it. (He'll never live this down, of course) & now he even asks me to make it!  So do try it, ok?  If mushrooms are as expensive now in  New England as they are here, leave them out.  It's still good without them.

I found this little button & thought it would be perfect for you, in case you eve have an identity crisis, or if your being ever feels denied, or something of that sort!

I do hope you aren't seriously suggesting that I have a "negligible interest at most" in your straitened circumstances!  I really do care, but feel a little helpless about it.  Do you budget yourself?  I suppose you do, but are  you an impulsive spender?  I am, so I know what it's like.  I've been very good lately, though, since I'm not working.  I just tell myself that that money isn't mine. (Actually, I let myself have a certain amount to do the grocery shopping & maybe $10 more each week & whatever I want, I kind of "save" for from week to week.)  It's crazy, I guess, but it feels like the right thing to do, to me.  Maybe you could pretend that a certain amt of your money isn't yours. (Aside from the part that really isn't & save it & then splurge with the money later & buy something special for dinner, or something like that?

How nice that you'll all be together for Christmas.  That's what I usually liked about Christmas, but I haven't spent a Christmas with my own family for 2  years. I kind of miss it.  The other thing I like about it is making things for it -- (which I already told you in another letter).  This year I'm making a wreath out of felt pieces on a styrofoam base. I've cut out everything I want to use -- holly leaves, red berries, mistletoe leaves, white berries, & a few Christmas symbols like a gold star, a few white doves, etc.  It's coming along splendidly!  Also, each year I make a few ornaments for the tree.  The first y ear, I made some wooden ones & painted them.  Last year I made a few clothespin ornaments & then decorate them & varnish them so they'll last.  They also make nice gift tags. I guess I"ll do that next week sometime.  Your calendars sound really nice.  I'm sure everyone will like them better than a boughten gift, and they'll think of you every time they see it!

I'm awfully happy this week -- not that I've been unhappy before -- but I'm especially happy now. Maybe because I'm getting adjusted.  I've actually been sleeping very well, only a very few real trying nights.  I must attribute it to the fact that I'm finally over the frustration of Seton Hill.  (I do still freeze up when I think of that place, though & its atmosphere!)

Speaking of jobs -- you asked what the situation was here.  It's bleak, I won't mince words.  The college here has some prissy rule about 5 years experience for librarians or 2 Masters -- so forget about that place.  I went to talk to the director, but he's a real zombie, so I just smiled politely when he told me he was impressed by my letters of recommendation & then I left after he told me to get another Masters  (at ISU, of course) & definitely he'd hire me then.  Needless to say, I think he's absurd!  The director of the public library is great -- only he has no jobs.  If I get desperate I may volunteer because he's a very progressive person and I know he'd be good to work with.  He was "impressed" too (or so he said).  But he did try to find me something else -- even called people for me, but there isn't anything right now.

I'd like to get a job, because we have a $30,000 mortgage & I'd like to help pay it, but I don't see anything right now.  Brook thinks I shouldn't just take anything, but wait for something good.  (I may be waiting forever, of course.)  I went into the bookstore at the mall & asked about part-time, but of course they just hired some one!  My luck is great.  Anyway, I'm hoping they have a quick turnover, so I left my application.  It would be good experience, I guess, huh?  It's a nice bookstore, too -- has lots of interesting stuff in it.

If I hear of anything, I'll let you know -- but jobs don't exactly stick to me -- especially good ones.

Brook has to stay late at work tonight -- to study confidential stuff.   What a drag.   I'm sure whatever it is isn't that secret.  Oh well.  I have to get him at 10:00, because the night bus stop is about a mile from the regular bus stop.  Yesterday, Brook had me drive on Interstate 15.  I was scared, but it really wasn't that bad.  It was the first time I ever had the car in 4th intentionally.  (I used to put it in 4th instead of 2nd all the time when I first started.)  So now I guess I'm qualified to drive to the airport to pick people up when they come to visit.  (I hope you'll be one of them someday.)

I don't think I told you that the movers broke my loom.  Well, actually it may have been a blessing in disguise.  The guy who came to see the part that was broken is a sheep farmer out in Blackfoot & he asked me to teach him how to spin, so I did & he's going to bring me several pounds a raw wool!   I'm so excited.  He called this morning & will be out this afternoon & will also have my loom piece -- hopefully!

It must be the day for phone calls.  My friend Olga called from California at 6AM.  I guess she was getting ready to go to work. I haven't spoken to her for 2 years!  'twas nice. One of my friends in NY wants me to get a cassette recorder so we can exchange tapes.  I don't' know, though. I think I wouldn't like to speak onto tape as much as I like to write.  Do you?

Oh well, I guess I'm finished talking your ear (eye?) off.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment