Sunday, July 7, 2013

November 6, 1976 (Letter from Connie)



How long has it been since I've written?  Ages, I'm sure.  I did write you after I got back ro Europe, didn't I?  I was bonkers for a long time after that, so I'm really not sure.  I'm much better now.

I'm going to Seattle for Thanksgiving, and of course I'm all excited about that.  Wrangled a couple of extra days off, so I'l have a whole week there!  I'll be frantically busy -- as always.  Seems an old high school pal is getting married, (which, knowing her, is a real shock!), and I'm going to a psychic in Victoria B.C.  The former will be a drag, and I'm really looking forward to the latter.  Pam had gone to see this woman, and she really helped her.  So a friend and I are going.  It's cheaper than a shrink, and maybe I'll find out whether there's any hope at all, or whether I should just snuff it and be done with it.

I know you've heard this one before, but I've decided to move back home.  Enough of this "seeing the world" jazz.  I've got rain in my very blood -- and sunshine just doesn't make it.  Right now I'm kind of targeting next Labor Day.  That would make three full years of Rocky Mountain winters and owing my soul to Ma Bell.  And that's enough.

Let me see now, what else have I been doing?  Ran to Nebraska to see some relatives over Labor Day. I'd always thought of them as being half a continent away -- and they are, from Seattle.  But from here it's only ten hours on the road.  I'd never been out there before, and it's fun, out on teh farm.  And how things change:  one cousin now has five kids (what a madhouse), another (Lorraine), has two kids, is divorced, and works as a welder, and then there's dear Little Allen. Last time I saw Allen he was a 12 year old nurd.  He's now 6'6" and gorgeous.  And he's my cousin -- BOO HOO!  Dammit.

I had some friends out from Seattle in October, so all has not been too bleak.

Oh!  News flash.  Talked to Lynne Stevenson in Helena.  She's now at Carroll College, and the State Library is as always, degenerating even further.  But the news is that Kathy and Ray Brown has split!!  Talk about a shock.  Got a card from Kathy sans Ray the other day -- just a "hi -- how are you" -- and I 'spose a note that they're still in the land of the living.  Geez -- out of all the couples in teh world I had them pegged to giggle and drink beers together for all eternity.

What did you think of the elections?  For the first time in my life I backed a winner!  And whatever else you say about the Georgian, he won't be dull.  I was a little worried though:  did you hear that a dictionary publisher somewhere, in preparing the new edition, had put an entry in for Carter as the 39th President.  Guess he did that when J.C. was 35 pts. ahead.  But when it got so close I started fearing for that edition -- but what a collector's item -- kind of like the Sinner's Bible -- you know the one that has:

"Thou shalt not kill
Thous shalt not steal
Thou shalt commit adultery"!

As for me, boredom prevails.  Been working some more on the piano.  Have now gone, on a scale of 1-10, from 0 to about 2.  Enjoying it enormously, though.

Did you see "Play It Again, Sam" on TV the other night?  Hadn't seen that one before.  Super film! So of course I've been going over my Casablance book for the last two days (its full script with all stills).  What a film!  And GWTW is coming to TV.  What a sacrilege!  I read that it will be split over two nights -- 5 hours of film and 78 minutes of commercials.  Saw it here in Cheyenne a couple of weeks ago -- how it holds up.  And Clark Gable has got everyone else in the world topped.  But on TV -- no.



Finally saw "M" -- it was on PBS a couple of weeks ago.  Blessedly it was in German with subtitles.  (Don't have enuf German to follow it -- but I really dislike dubbing.)  Powerful flick -- and a fearful omen (in 1931) of German fear and mobishness.


"Read any good books, lately?"  I haven't.  Been reading Ceram's "Gods, Graves and Scholars" -- would you believe I hadn't read it before?  And just finished my annual fall read of the Stewart Merline books (Crystal Cave, Hollow Hills).  And in a few weeks, when the world is all bleak and it feels as though winter will never end, I get to re-read the Chronicles of Narnia (for 5th graders) and then the Tolkien trilogy.

Gotta go -- getting writer's cramp.  But I'm surviving.  Sort of.

Take care, and keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment