Wednesday, July 24, 2013

November 21, 1976 (Letter from Renee)



Received your letter this week and I was happy to hear from you once again.  You're so great about taking the initiative to write after my long periods of non-correspondence.  It is amazing to me still that after all these year (10 since I've been out of H.S.) that we, as friends, still manage to keep in touch.  It makes me feel good!   I was blessed with 2 letters in 1 week -- 1 from you & 1 from Mardi.  How lucky can I get?

Your letter touched me deeply, for I, too, am experiencing a great deal of depression over my "present state of affairs" concerning my job & my future in the working world.  I am more fortunate than you, however, in the fact that I have Morrey to share in my problems and to guide me in my decisions.  I have decided that this will be my last year of teaching school.  In June I'll hit the "road" looking for a new job.  I am very unhappy with the conditions at school, with the people I work with, and , above all, w/ the people that run the school.  At this point in my life, I feel that I am "giving too much of myself" to my work and I haven't had time to be a good wife or really a good friend.  I feel torn between my school obligations and my private life & family.  When I leave teaching I will have the satisfaction of knowing that I left as a successful teacher and I also know that I'm not really leaving because other people forced me -- but because I forced myself.  I feel as if I've reached the end of my goals in teaching and there's nothing more there for me to tackle -- at which point one begins to fall into a situation in which she rests on past performances instead of reaching for new dimensions!  I want to quit teaching before my attitude reflects in my teaching performance.  There are too many people at my school who long ago gave up on  being good teachers, and who now are in the profession 1) because it pays more than other jobs they could find & 2) because it's routine, easy & no sweat if you don't give a damn anyway.  For a long time, Paul, I was so depressed about the whole thing, but now that I've made up my mind to quit & do something else -- I feel almost as if I'd been given a reprieve.  I feel "cleansed" once I made the decision to quite.  Well, so much for that for now.

I've had a very difficult time of it these last 2 months, Paul.  My grandfather's death wasn't hard for me to accept at first, but now I am feeling the "great loss" to me and my family.  Morrey & I have been to Warren several times since then, and it will take my parents a while to adjust.  I have desperately wanted to spend more time w2/ them but because of my job & other demands I have not been able to.  They are coming here for Thanksgiving and Morrey & I have planned a "fun" weekend.   My mother is scheduled to go in to Warren General for gall bladder surgery on Dec. 15th and I am leaving school 3 days early (before our Xmas vacation)  to be with my father.  I will be in Warren through the Xmas-New Years holidays and I am very much looking forward to seeing you, Paul, and to spending time renewing acquaintances with people from Warren.  If possible I hope you & I could find time to go & visit w/ Mrs. Coe, our h.s. English teacher.  At any rate, call me at my folks' when you get in town.

I told Morrey about y our unhappiness in Springfield and how expensive it was to live there.  He told me to tell you to come to Columbus & stay with us for awhile and perhaps look for work here.  I want you to know Paul that the invitation we're extending is more sincere -- we do have an extra bedroom.  And plenty of room for you and we wouldn't be inconvenienced or bothered a bit if you took us up on the offer.  Morrey is not the type to offer unless he likes someone and really cares -- and he does like you Paul!  Please give some consideration to the idea.  Perhaps we can discuss it at Xmas time.

Paul, I wish there was something I could do to help you in your present circumstances.  I feel for you, and from the tone of your letter, I can share in your feelings of frustration & depression.  Paul, we've been friends for a long time.  Of you need money, Morrey and I would be happy to help you out.  We're not rolling in money, but we do have some and would be happy as an act of friendship to loan you want  you might need.  I've discussed this with Morrey and he supports the offer so please don't hesitate if you're in a hole and need some financial help.  I know that if the circumstances were reversed, you'd do the same for us.

I am writing this letter while watching the NBC 50 years of NBC show and I'm finding that I can't do 2 things at once successfully so I'll close this letter for now cause Morrey's bugging me to watch with him.

Please take care & be well Paul.  Write again soon & I'll plan to see you at Xmas time in Warren.

No comments:

Post a Comment