Saturday, March 9, 2013

March 27, 1976 (Letter from Grayce)

917 South Avenue
Wilkinsburg, PA
(Grayce & Brook lived in the first floor)

Something quite incredible (at least to my way of thinking) happened to me today -- I got my driver's license. I'm sure that seems like little enough to almost everyone else.  But I'm pretty surprized about it.  I just never believed I would ever get into a car & not be in the passenger seat -- I suppose I still feel a little range -- I just can't see myself being active in that role, only passive. Well at least I have "official identification" now.  I unfortunately mentioned this reason for wanting a license to one of Brook's friends from work & have regretted it -- it is a big joke at Westinghouse now.  Anyway -- enough of my nonsense.

How are you?  You've had a week (more when you get this) to decide how this new job is affecting you.  So tell...I'm anxious to hear.  Also, what happened with your car?

Last night I received a surprize phone call from a girl who went to Villanova with me (we used to ride the train together a lot).  She was an English major, but we had a lot of classes together since we both took several French courses.  It's funny, how you can not hear from someone for a long time & how you can feel when you finally do hear from them.  She got married right after graduation & her husband is in the navy so she wasn't in the states at all for the past 3 years.  I must admit that I was not exactly overzealous in finding out her new addresses, though , so I really didn't communicate with her at all in these 3 years & she didn't know where I was or what I was doing, either.  It was quite a shock to hear her voice on the phone.  I suppose she called my parents for the number (she's in Jersey now.)  The point of this is that I felt like only a few weeks had gone by -- maybe a month and not all this time.  Does time seem to go faster the old we get?  I suppose it does because when we were 5, a year was a whole 1/5 of our life -- not 1/24th.  Oh well....

It's raining very nicely outside.  I like storms (but only when I don't have to be in them).  I also like to hear cars going by on the wet street.

This is a boring letter.  I know because I went back & read it & I was bored.  Unfortunately, yo may not get rid of me yet, because I feel like talking to you!


I thought of you when I saw an advertisement for this book called The Good Goodies (put out by Prevention magazine people )  I think I may buy it since I can't seem to give up sweets completely, so maybe I can at least make more wholesome (no sugar) ones.  It's 9>95 in case you'd like it yourself and the address is:

Rodale Press
Organic Park
Emmaus, Pa 18049

No postage & handling is you send payment with order.

I've been amusing myself in various ways lately.  Sewing seems to be in my blood every March & November   Last week I made a dress for work & a denim skirt (I refuse to pay $28 for a denim skirt that isn't even made well when I can make one myself for $6.)  I also bought some gauze to make a blouse.  Brook wants me to make us matching ski jackets for Idaho -- but I don't think I'm that good of a seamstress.

I've also begun a new furniture project.  Brook bought me an antique oak hall tree (you know, the kind with  a seat & hooks for coats, etc).  It is really a fine one, but very old & needs lots of work. It had been made known to me that this project was mine & mine alone as a condition of Brook buying this, so I suppose I cannot complain -- but it's a very difficult piece to strip -- full of caring & molding, etc.

My mother & father really were happy that I finally got one since I've always wanted one as long as they can remember.  I'm just sorry my father can't be here to hep me finish it -- he's really good at stuff like that & not too busy right now to help. I just must persevere, I guess.  I hope I can get it finished before we leave for Idaho.

I've been reading more Doris Lessing.  I'm pretty impressed by her & will be sorry to run out of her soon -- only 2 more books to go.

I'm undecided as to whether to have a garden this year.  If we leave in the beginning of August, we won't harvest much, but then I suppose the Michauxs would be able to use up most of the stuff.

Well -- I think I've talked on long enough.  I hope you're well & happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment