Tuesday, April 10, 2012

July 17, 1970 (Letter from Tony)

Well, here I am in all my splendor and glory, and in answer to your questions, yes, no, and only occasionally.

This has been a strange summer so far.  When school ended I was working 4 hrs/night at Buf. General.  I lounged in the sun the rest of the time.  Then came the post office job and I was working 12 hrs/day and sleeping 6-7.  I grew rich and retired from the post office.  I am now working 5 hrs/night at Buf General.  During my off hours I am trying to catch up on things like letters, laundry, etc.  So far it's been very good, as soon as I grew tired of my current situation, it changed.

On Mon I'm going to sign up for a 3rd session course, Industrial Relations 301.  Also I'm going to go thru a book on my own that should help me with the math I'll need for my Eco course this fall.  It has the clever title of "Mathematics for Economists".

I'm in the music room.  All by myself.  I really miss your stereo.  It was probably one of the finest stereos (stereoes?) I have ever known.

It sounds like you're really enjoying yourself.  That's good.  Here it's OK.  My social life is continuing at the same fever-high pitch.

Thanks for the money.

I didn't have time before to look for apts.  Rich, a transfer student from Ohio State, got the lists from University Housing and he called most of the places.  There wasn't much there, but I didn't expect there to be.  There's a place on Custer I have to check out, I'm going to talk to Mr. Mann, the guy who owns Herbie's apt. and see if he has any others, and I'll be checking the News, and the Amherst Bee (wow).  Are you sure you don't want to go back to Allenhurst?

I just talked to Kenny on the phone yesterday.  Vinnie called him to explain to him why he can't pay his rent just yet.  Vinnie's thinking of selling his car, he's still got $1,800 payments to make on it.

My bicycle's still fine.  I rode it to work Monday, right down Main St.  I was scared shitless.  Bad.

Zelda and Jane are leaving Sun nite for Europe.   I got a letter from Sue, she's really enjoying herself.

Mike worked for 3 wks in a factory then quit in a dispute with his boss.

Another strange aspect of this summer is the people.  It's rare that I talk to someone who has smoked, let alone see any of the stuff.  Everyone drinks a lot.  Next week we're having an office party out in the country and everyone is planing to get really smashed.  These people are nice, but they are a better fit for the early 60's than the 70's.

There are a couple of other college age kids that work with me nights and we sit around the plot the revolution.  Actually, I've been doing a lot of thinking about my politics and I think that a commune or a free store is much more effective than a demonstration.  How's that for heavy, deep, out a sight, and right on?

This campus is really nice during the summer, when it isn't raining.  There are a lot of trees, a lot of grass, a lot of room.

You probably heard that Ketter was picked as president.  Could be trouble this fall.

I've started the world's largest collage on Herbie's bedroom wall.  I've got 3 pictures up.  It could take awhile before I finish it.

If you haven't noticed, I've run out of things to say right now.  So, farewell sweet prince, until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment