Sunday, January 29, 2012

September 20, 1968 (Letter from Mardi)


I'm going to start this letter but I don't have time how -- Duh!  But I had to start it.  Things are so different here!  I'll be back later.  I have to read my psychology -- already.  Bye____

Hi, I'm back!  Barney and I just had to make reservations for Christmas!  We fly Northwest straight to Cleveland, then we take Allegheny to Jamestown.  I'll be leaving at 8:30 Fri the 20th of Dec.  I'll get home and be able to go out again -- duh!

Where, where should I start!

The trip out was fantastic!  We got to Cleveland in no time.  Cleveland Hopkins is a really nice airport.  The jet to Minn. was beautiful.  We stopped in Chicago and then flew above the clouds the entire way to Msp.  It was so beautiful with the sun on top of you.  Then we came down to land and it was raining!!  The airport is beautiful!  We spent the rest of the day registering and handing out money to everyone!  The apt is something else.  It's not the greatest but it's not bad.  I'll have to explain the situation!  Mary Jo and I got along really fine (I met her on the plane) so we decided to room together.  Well we got here and three of the girls had already been here since June.  Sharon I don't like.  She's a real cute one!  A girl "twenty-seven"!  Arlene isn't cute at all but she's nice but not quite with it or something.  She's getting married in April, I guess.  Patti Smith is a Negro from Pittsburgh and is pure soul but she's got all these daddy friends and doesn't seem to care about anything.  Linda is like a girl from Russell -- need I say more?  So out of five girls, Mary Jo and I get along fine.  Right now Mary Jo and I are hoping to move out and up to the third floor w/ Barney and Johnson becuase they don't get along with their roommates and the one girl might be leaving.  We almost convinced them Mon. to switch but they backed out.  So we told the house mother, if anybody leaves or if we can switch to the third floor we'd really like it.  She said she thought we could if the situation arises!  So we're hoping.  Mary Jo and I are going to paint the woodwork tomorrow night so when our posters come, the place will look so much beetter.  We figure if we get it all fixed up nice we'll get the chance to move.  Does that make sense!?  The apt has grown on me already and I'm getting used to it.  When I got up Tuesday I was the only one w/ an 8:30 class and it was raining and I stood in our little kitchen w/ a bowl of Rice Krispies and put up the shade and it was so depressing!  Nancy did exactly the same thing and she was ready to go home!  Oh that's all over now, but some days the apt looked so depressing, today was the first day it hasn't really rained.  I haven't seen the sun!  But everything is getting there now.  It took a couple of days.  Classes have started.  I've got Psych, Eng, Charm!? (duh), typing, shorthand, and about five other credits.  The school is really nice and the day goes so fast.  Nancy and I have the same schedule of classes.  We start at 8:30 and we're done by three.  Some kids go until six!  It really is long when you have an afternoon schedule.  I know I'm forgetting a ton of things.  We don't have any special plans this weekend but there's a big party at the university - frat party!!!  We're going to a football game.  The tickets say Minn Vikings vs. Detroit Lions.  Should be a good game!  It's really fantastic here.  We're almost right in the city. It's all beautiful -- tons of little shops, Dayton's is fantastic. The people are great, they're so cool.  I met the nicest guy, a hippy -- my god was he dirty!  He was really good looking.  He had long hair and a beard that hadn't been washed in months.  His shirt was kinda just hanging on him and pants were ripped and faded, his feet were black w/ dirt.  He went to Minn U.  Nancy and I could have just stayed in the city.  I must go now.  Think I'll wash my hair.

Tell your roommates I said Hi!  How are classes going?  Write some good long letters when you get the time.  I know I hardly have anytime.

See you at Christmas.  Mark left for school today.  Mike and Renee leave Sun.  Miek sent me a telegram saying "Raining and lonely in Bemus Point.  Love, Twenty-seven."  I said who the hell's sending me a telegram?!  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment