Thursday, August 2, 2012

September 15, 1973 (Letter from Leslie)



Hi sweetie.  Got your letter this morning -- very nice surprise, nice lift to the day.  Lots of little things to tell you.  Right now I am at school to do some work.  Will have about 2 1/2 hrs as the library closes at 5.  Am sitting in the lounge with a "cup a soup" and will go down the hall to the lib when I am finished.  Cup a coups are great because there is always hot water in the lounge so now I have 3 boxes in my locker -- beef noodle, onion, and chicken noodle.  Very convenient. 

Getting back to the end of the 1st page.  (missing)  I met Chris and she said that she decided not to move out because she really couldn't afford it.  Was a little disappointed not to move out but in truth I can't afford it that much either.  So yesterday on my day off from school Mom and I were going to play golf but it started raining while I was visiting my friend Ardene at Universal Photo.  We went from there to Montgomery Ward's to look at tripods and discovered they were having a sale on Mamiya/Sekor 35mm.  So I asked Mom if I might buy one (she is the best as far as financial advice goes) and she said okay since I would be staying at home.  I didn't buy one there, I first went to check out Consumer's Reports and decided on either a Canon FTD or a Canon TLD.  Ended up buying a Canon TLD for $214 and the guy quoted me last year's price and didn't realize it until he had rung up the sale and had gone to check something so he said, Wow -- this is the wrong price but I quoted it to you so you have it at this price but the store doesn't make anything on it.  The new price should have been around $260.  I can't believe the way things happen to me.  I was suffering from a psychological reaction to the whole thing for a couple of hours after.  So now I am the proud owner of a Canon TLD 35mm, a single lens reflex -- the type of camera that has been my dream for at least 3 years.  I'm excited have taken 6 pictures with it.

On my way home from school, I am going to go by Albany airport and get information on flying to Pittsburgh.  I decided it would be too wasteful to go by bus.  How bout me flying in Friday late afternoon or night and leaving Sunday?  I'm thinking of the weekend after this coming one.  All is okay with family, Mom said what you do is your business, which I knew but feel obligated to ask about since I am living at home.

Will write more later otherwise I will continue with the rest of the little stuff and will not get my work done while the library is open.

Hello again -- I'm home and have Seals and Crofts on.  Thursday morning I had my last wisdom tooth out -- yeah.  I was in a real vicious mood that morning because I had to go to the dentist so I was cursing joyfully at all the bad drivers and had visions of hitting them (if only my car didn't get wrecked).

Also finished shooting my first roll of 35mm film.  Can't wait to have it developed and see what things look like -- took pictures of all the family.  Already thinking of other lens I would like to buy because I want to specialize in available light pictures -- I dont' like flash pictures.  For example it is dark out tonight, but the moon is big and bright and near the horizon and what I would like to do is put "Cannon" (correct spelling is Canon) on a tripod and set it for a long exposure.  I usually call  things she but I think Cannon will be a he, it just seems to fit better.

Chris came mover last night and was in a strange mood.  We smoked and listened to records -- she likes to listen to records but wouldn't buy them -- so I'm exposing her to all my good music and it's interesting to hear what she does and does not like.

Good news -- I can still use my youth fare card so it will cost me $35 instead of $42 to fly round trip to Pittsburgh.  The weekend I'm thinking of is the 29th and 30th.  Classes are suspended the 27th (Thurs) and 28th (Fri) so I could catch a flight Friday morning and leave Sunday.  How does that sound?

My heartiest congratulations on becoming a grad assistant!!!  Working in the library is a good experience.  I've been doing some of the same things you have except checking the accuracy of bibliographic source material.  Working by oneself is nice -- but I usually have somebody with me in both libraries.  I enjoy it, though, waiting on people sometimes sassing them and learning how and showing others the equipment in the media lab.

I must say that "Meet That Lady" caught my attention immediately and when you mentioned it in your last letter, all I could think of was the refrain, "Who's that lady?!?"  And I knew it was the same song.  Ah, it will be nice to get on the dance floor with you again -- it's been too long.

I have an oz. I bought at the end of the summer, but I haven't been smoking much -- more by myself and going out walking breathing the air and being with the country but I don't like the incoherence that I sometimes fall into.

A lot of the readings I've had to do are really bad -- the literature definitely needs some pepping up.  Have your read from a book by Jack Mills Modern Outline of Classification?  Ugh.  It is printed in single space type and the whole page is filled.  The format stinks and your eyes just go bananas.  (Interjection -- Steely Dan is now on with Brooklyn.)

Haven't done any cataloging, but I have an assignment to assign author #s using the cutter system and the L.C. System.

I'm feeling very much at home now especially since I know people to say hi to and developing ones to talk to.

Thursday I forgot my pills so Mom brought them to me and showed her around the academic podium and the library school.  It was nice introducing her to people I knew.  The campus is strange but I don't feel so overwhelmed and am beginning to like the architecture.  Am going to take Cannon over some Sunday and take pictures when there are few people.  There are some good shots just waiting.

Well I gotta go -- it's getting late and I want to do some reading.  Tomorrow Dad and I are going with my aunt to the Eastern States Exposition.  Am looking forward to it.  Dad and I were going to go to the State Fair in Syracuse but I had to work so I said I would go with him to this one.  We get along pretty good -- especially when I try harder than usual.

I noticed the stamp you used -- was it intentional?  Thank you either way.  Take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment