Monday, August 13, 2012

October 8, 1973 (Letter from Kenny)


Kenny and Lauren's wedding
Clockwise from lower right
Herb Kleinberger, Tony Szczygiel, Eric Barr, Paul Nelson, Kenny Tuchman

I don't have much time, but I wanted to get a note off to you.  I'm really glad to hear that things are going so well for you in "the Burg" (as I'm told Pittsburgh is referred to).

It was really great seeing you and Tony at the wedding and it's too bad you couldn't have come in a couple of days earlier so I could have talked to you both.  Anyhow, things are going pretty well here for the Tuchmans in Philadelphia.  School sucks of course for me and even Lauren doesn't like her school but elsewise (strange word "elsewise") it's OK.  I'm not as pressured this year because I just don't give a shit.  All of these firms are coming down to interview for summer jobs and it is unquestionably the biggest pain in the ass.  I hate having to act so phony with them and also I don't graduate till '76 so they're not interested in me until next yr and they pretty much come out and tell me so in the interview.  The salaries they offer are outrageous ($300/wk for summer, $18,000/yr full time) but I'm fairly certain I'll be working for $3/hr somewhere licking stamps or something equally exciting.  Sorry if I sound cynical but these interviews really get me down.  It looks as though Lauren will be going to school thru the summer so I'm looking primarily in Philly although if I get a job in NY and nowhere else I'll take it.

I guess Herb must have told you about Chris calling him.  It was really weird.  When Herb told me that Chris asked about my wedding, I really felt bad.  I wanted to invite him for old times sake (and all that shit) and all he had to do was make an effort to call or anything.  Anyhow, Chris must have mentioned that he was thinking of getting married.  Maybe that's why he contacted Herb after such a long time.  What do you think?  Have you communicated with Chris?

How's the little Polish kid out in sunny Calif?  Send me his address.  My aunt just moved to California from Wantagh and several other people I know are contemplating the move.  I really want to get out there one of these days and be just like you -- a man of ALL places (at least in this country). 

Oh yeah, Puerto Rico was really nice and Lauren and I had a great time.  We didnt' do much sightseeing although we did go to St. Thomas for a day.  We flew back from St. Thomas to San Juan on a 10 passenger plane -- I almost shit in my pants.  We got about $100 worth of liquor for $30 and cigarettes only $1.50/carton!! Beyond that however, nothing was a great bargain.

Oh well I'd better go for now.  Write soon and send me your phone #.  Also I would really like a copy of those pictures you took of you, me, Herb, and Tony at the wedding.

Enough said, take care of yourself and remember your Dewey Decimals.

No comments:

Post a Comment