Thursday, August 9, 2012

October 2, 1973 (Letter from Leslie)



Hi sweetie.  Greetings on a cool but nice Tuesday morning.  Today is my early day (have to be here at 8am) so was up to see a beautiful sunrise.  Ah, glad to be alive.

Not being a veteran airplane traveler, I missed the 8:40 plan by asking about checking my bag instead of running like hell to the gate.  Called home and said I would be catching the next plane, which I did with no trouble and even sat by a window.  I think I sat on the wrong side of the plane to see Pittsburgh, though.  It was a clear night for flying and the lights below were sparkling like jewels.  The plane flew to Philadelphia, where I made a connection to go to Albany.  On that plane I sat on the right so I would see New York City.  All the way form Philly to New York it's lit up -- large colonies of light looking like giant nerve [?] joined by the roads connecting them.  The lights of the New York metropolitan area were visible for at least half of my flight, then the lights petered out up through the Catskills and along the Hudson.  Albany looked quite small compared to the Big Apple.  I got home about 12:45.

Yesterday the media lab got the word to toe the line no more slacking off.  Of course there is not that much to do and there are sometimes three people in there at the same time, but let's not look like we are having a good time and pleased keep the noise level down.   This whole idea of a media lab is running by ear so stumbling is to be expected.  This morning I have been putzing around and now writing to you.              Surprise, surprise, we just had a fire drill.  A bell is used instead of the obnoxious buzz/rings used at U.B.

This afternoon I'm going to take the roll of film to be developed.  Hope the pictures come out sharp and clear.  That was one of the things Mom wanted to know -- did you take any pictures?  You know you can't see him in the ones you have.

Will continue later, time to go to the library school library to put in 4 hrs.  (10-2).

Hello -- I'm home now.  Have listened to 1st side of Steely Dan, 1st side of Down Home and now 2nd side of Down Home -- will have to buy at least one more Seals and Crofts.  I just love spending money on records.

I forgot to ask you if you or anybody from your school is going to the ALA convention in Atlantic City.  I will be going with at least 3 others (Robin, Nicki, and Nancy) in the Torino for Thursday and Friday.  Not enough wanted to go to hire a bus.  We are also going on a trip to Washington, D. C. to see the Library of Congress and other famous libraries.  Am looking forward to it seeing as how I've never been to Washington.

I took the film and will probably pick it up on Friday.

Needless to say I had a fine time and could get used to being around you very easily.  My mother said I must have had a fine time since I looked happy when I arrived at the airport and my cheeks were rosy -- can't figure out why they would have looked so rosy.

I am going to sign off -- will write again shortly.  Take care of yourself.  Write to me.

P.S.  I found this in the media lab throw-away pile -- didn't know if it would interest you or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment