Sunday, August 26, 2012

November 29, 1973 (Letter from Renee)



Thanks so much for your letter, it was delightful to hear from you once again, and I am very glad that we can still keep in touch.  I did receive a letter from you earlier in the fall, but with school starting and all the work that piled up I haven't spent much time in corresponding to anyone.

Everything is fine with us.  I am busy with my teaching and Morrey is working and he's going to finish up his associate (2 year) degree in a few weeks, of which I am very  very proud.  Aside from that we have been taking bridge lessons, but being the klutz that I am I can't seem to play bridge without my 14 pages of class notes -- which leaves room for little else at the bridge table.  We've just finished the beginning bridge course and in February we'll take the advanced course.  Our house is all settled now and my basement is completely finished with carpeting and everything.  It has become "my living room" since I spend all my time down here working at my desk.  Once school started in the fall I had to give up all my grandiose plans for decorating until next summer when I'll have time to burn.

I love teaching and I really feel comfortable in my job now.  I've begun to explore different methods and new lessons to work on since I can't stand to do the same old thing in the same old way year after year.  I have a heavy load of 6 classes with 169 students and it takes me forever to grade any kind of composition work even though I fell that this is an area that needs a great deal of work at the 8th grade level.  The longer I teach the more things I seem to take on and find to do -- but I guess that's what really keeps me going and keeps my mind working.  I am just about ready to decide to go back to grad school this summer to see if I can't pick up some new ideas and materials.  One thing about teaching is that it is never boring and there never seems to be enough hours in the day to complete all the tasks I assign myself.  I am very lucky though Paul, because Morrey and I have very little time together during the week and we really cherish the weekends when we can get reacquainted.  We have a good number of friends here in Columbus now but Morrey and I prefer to be close friends with a very select few and we're not the big party types at all anymore.  I guess I could safely say that I'm very happy with my life as it is right now.  I'm the kind of person that has to set goals for myself and have something to look forward to no matter how small the occasion or how large.  Without the future to look forward to I am lost.  That sounds kind of dumb, but that's the way I am.

We went to Chicago last week to my brother's for Thanksgiving and my parents went with us.  It really bothers me Paul cause I see my parents getting older, and now that my dad is retired I really worry about them, not financially, but I worry cause they seem to me to be kind of "beaten" down by their circumstances.  With my grandfather living with them they have very little social life and they are quite bored -- yet there aren't many choices or options open to them.  They can't just pack up and go exploring places they've always wanted to see because they have a strong obligation to take care of my grandfather.  My parents literally live for the times when they can see us -- yet I can't hep thinking that there has got to be more to life and living than just that itself.  I guess I can't solve the problem for them, but I can really see the effects of all the years with my grandfather working on them, and I really get depressed.

We haven't formalized any plans yet for Xmas vacation.  Morrey will have a long 4 day weekend over Xmas but with the gas shortage and all that I'm not sure whether we'll make the trip to PA.  Aside from being able to see my friends for a little visit at Xmas time there isn't much that Warren has to offer for us, and Morrey and I aren't too anxious to spend 4 days sitting around on our asses with nothing to do but twiddle our thumbs.  So, at this time I'm not too sure about any plans that we'll be making.  Pittsburgh is only a 3 hr ride from Columbus Paul, do you think you could come here for a short while over winter break?  We have an extra, unused bedroom which you'd be welcome to use, and we'd love to have you as our guest.

Well, I'd love to write some more but I've loads of papers sitting in front of me which I've had for 2 weeks and haven't graded yet, so I'm afraid I'll have to close for now.

Be well and take care Paul.  Write soon when you have a chance.  Let's continue to keep in touch.  "Old" friends are the best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment