Friday, August 10, 2012

October 5, 1973 (Letter from Leslie)



Hiya honey.  Have been feeling very contented and happy all week.  The trees are turning here and it is very beautiful in the morning-- don't mind driving to Albany.

I picked up the pictures today, they came out pretty good.  So I took them to school to show my friends and my family as very happy to see what you looked like.  Whenever I see you again it will be different as your beard should be looking glorious by then.  General consensus from those tho viewed picture -- you look pretty good.

Am listening to Tyranny and Mutation right now (Blue Oyster Cult) and my favorite song is coming up -- a great dance tune, got that driving base beat.  Time out while I bounce around.

Want to tell you about this strange article I read for one of my courses but I don't feel like it right now so I will continue this later.

Monday 8:October '73 -- Good morning.  The class I am sitting in has a definite soporific effect on me -- gold ole Lib 601.  We have just spent an hour and a half talking about intellectual freedom, two assumptions that librarians hold (info is available, reading can make a difference), and characteristics of a profession.

Hello again -- just as I wrote that, break time was over and then there was stuff to take notes on so I'm finally getting back to this at home.  Brian Auger is taking a spin on the turntable.

Want to tell you about my weekend.  Chris and I went out Friday night -- she had the heebie-jeebies and I was just up for going out and shooting the bull.  We went to Allen's, a place near me that has a band, but there were people lined up outside to get in so we left and went to the Pub over on rte. 7.  Had a fine time and I was introduced to a new drink -- Tequila Sunrise, which is tequila, orange juice, and grenadine.  Mmm delicious and sneaks up on you.Saturday and I went to Albany to pick up my new friend Robin and brought her back so she could see a farm which happened also to be home.  IT was a gorgeous day and we trucked around the back 40 and I shot another roll of film.  I now have 3 rolls (32 from New York City) to be developed.  The guy from school has been busy so I'm going to take them to Universal tomorrow -- am tired of waiting -- I want to see what kind of pictures I took.

Sunday I lazed around all day -- dance to some music for exercise and then decide3d to re-arrange my room.  Now I have lots more room and have my speakers about 8 feet apart -- sounds better.  That evening my friend Bernie, home for the weekend from Syracuse, came over so we smoked and listened to music and had a good time shooting the breeze.  He brought over Blackbyrd by Donald Byrd for me to listen to.  Really fine album -- nice to move around to -=- just quietly cooks along at a low simmer.  Some of it reminded me of Grover Washington Jr.

Coming home today I caught Meet That Lady and instead of cutting off the end they just let it play out and it goes for at least a minute after the vocal ends.  The lead guitar just continues to howl and I just ride along with it.  It reminds me of Dark Side of the Moon on the first side at the end when the singers voice just takes off and I'd love to be able to sing like that.

Did you go to Warren to pick up your records?  If it was like it was here, it was beautiful driving weather.  Future Games is turning now.  Haven't played it in a long time.

Today I got to play the projectionist -- I showed 3 movies for Miss Cole's class.  Not hitches but I was nervous at first, because I had never shown movies before even though I know how to run the machine. Of course the class was impressed by my speed and skill at running the movie projector and rewinding it.  Nothing to it, I said modestly.

I am going to end this now as I have work to do.  Enclosed is a copy of the letter the media lab has been sending out to various film distributors.  Whoohoo.  Take care of yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment