Monday, August 27, 2012

November 29, 1973 (Letter from Leslie)



Well hello sweetie.  Thank you for sending the postcard so I know you are still alive.  I had imagined that you were busy.  I don't know what to say about us, I guess my last postcard is the most correct.  The subject is not a very good one for discussion by letter.  I hope in your next missal you will make some comments on the things I wrote -- your letter to me was a hard one to write an answer to and continuing thoughts on it have made me cover a lot of ground but if I am still important to you and your feelings haven't changed then I will be comfortable with that.  Please write a letter, though, because I miss your chatty letters discussing what you have been doing.  So no more on that until I hear from you again.

Your independent study project sounds interesting.  I have read (and will enclose it) that Rolling Stone has published a volume of select reviews and has just come our with record reviews from its early years of publication complete with a 20 page index.  As far as I can tell those are the only two aspect indexed.  I imagine you have your sources already but just in case not, Collison has written Indexes and Indexing and is somebody at least readable.

A couple of weeks ago on a Sunday I went to an antique show with my aunt.  I loved it and I think you would have enjoyed it.  It was at least 30 independent dealers showing select wares -- lots of crystal, boxes, and a few specializing in books.  One dealer was the best as far as having books, manuscripts, maps, and personal correspondence.  I could see myself getting into that whole racket -- I already collect stuff.

My car has been acting up and continues to eat gas so I've gone to the dealer where I bought my other motorcycle and have put down a deposit on a new Honda 350F.  It is the baby of the four cylinder bikes and should be smooth as glass -- no vibration like you have with twin cylinder bikes.  It will make a nice small touring bike, very comfortable, which is what I will need commuting to Albany as much as I do.  I'm looking forward to being on two wheels again.

Not much else -- I've been doing a lot of reading lately trying to get most things out of the way.  Had a nice Thanksgiving -- went to NYC for a hot minute.  My father forgot to leave the bills of lading at the terminal in Edgewater, N.J. and my granny was going down Friday to visit so Mom, Nana, and I left after dinner on Thurs and ran the errand.  Unfortunately the people I wanted to see were all busy.  Mom and I drove back on Friday.  I drove up through Manhattan and Yonkers and part way up the Taconic Parkway.  It was the most driving I have done in NYC and wasn't as bad as it looks.  Saturday I went to a party and it was like a small old home week with some long unseen faces.  Sunday was a second Thanksgiving dinner in Troy with friends.  The food was great -- everybody had contributed something -- I made the gravy.  It was good -- I like lots of people around holidays.

Will continue later.

Friday 30:Nov '73 - Good afternoon -- am sitting in the library school  library and thought I would finish writing this before doing some work.

The other day I picked up my pictures and I was really pleased the way they came out.  It was the first time using a tripod.  The longest exposure was 1 second.  I shot a roll of black and white and a roll of color.  The quality of the color pictures was really fine -- I was pleasantly surprised.  Took portrait shots of Mom, Nana, and Dad and they came out great.  So whenever I see you again, will you sit for me?

On the local AM stations they are starting to play Steely Dan's new song.  I don't know the title but it has the phrase "But I did not think that girl could be so cruel and I'm never going back to my old school."   Really fine.  Last night a bunch of us went to the Pub and they were playig some fine listening music by Aretha Franklin, Laura Nyro, and Carole King.  (I think mostly from the Fantasy album.)  Feel like dancing now again -- haven't been since I was in Pittsburgh.

Tonight Chris and I are going to see American Graffiti.  Have you seen it yet?  I've been meaning to go for at least a month and so am looking forward to it.  Still haven't gotten my records from RCA so no comments on Lookin' In.

I guess that's it for now.  I continue to try and understand you more than before and care for you very much.  Take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment