Wednesday, August 1, 2012

September 3, 1973 (Letter from Leslie)



Greetings.  I've been sitting reading The Passions of the Mind by Irving Stone, which I started months ago and put down.  Picked it up again because I had nothing else to read and felt like reading.  I am where Freud is learning more about neuroses and their often sexual basis -- very interesting -- lots of cases discussed.  I like the way and the details of Stone's writing.

Classes have started for me and tonight I am going to the library to do some reading for my Information Processing course.  Will learn how to classify and do subject analysis.

Last week was a depressing one for me -- I was just getting to know people at Korvettes and enjoying being a cashier.  I felt at home and not so lonely.  Most of my home friends, after staying in this area, are going away for grad school.  Also I don't know the Albany campus or hardly anybody there so am still alienated.  At Korvettes the people were friendly and some prospects for friends were there.  I think that is the main source of the depressed feeling.  I'm hoping that I will know more people at the school through working at the library.

My friend Chris and I were talking of sharing an apartment and now it is definitely in the realm of possibility.  That is another thing I miss -- the companionship I had in Buffalo.

Saturday was my last night at work and all of the people I liked said to make sure to come back and visit and Mrs. Willis, the woman who hired me, said that there would be no trouble in re-hiring me if there was a job and I wanted one.  They all made me feel very good and my mood has lifted quite a bit. I was surprised, though, I never expected to enjoy working as a cashier as much as I did.  I am keeping my I.D. badge as a souvenir of a most worthwhile experience.  On top of that I have wanted to know what it was like to be a cashier for a long time.

Well dinner is ready and I am quite hungry so I shall head downstairs and partake and continue later.

Thursday 6:Sept '73 - Good morning leaning towards afternoon.  I'm sitting in the lounge before going to my noon class.  Had one more reading to do for the class today, but didn't have time and there isn't any now so I thought I'd write instead.

Got my car fixed so today's the second day I've been using it.  Yay!  Just bought a parking permit for it today.  I still have to fix, possibly just buy a new bulb for the light over the license plate which is out.

My mood is fine -- I've been meeting people as I go along and here are good possibilities for friends.  As a whole there is a feeling of community developing more as new students get to know everybody else.  Both libraries are okay -- media lab isn't as busy as the school's -- Tuesday when I worked 10-2 I was busy the whole time especially with reserve materials going in and out.  Still have a lot to learn as far as running things in the media lab goes.

Chris and I are definitely going to look for an apartment -- she works in Albany not too far from SUNY, so we will try to find something close to this area or maybe about 10 minutes away or so -- not like the half hour it is now.

This afternoon there was a wine and cheese party for the new students, old students, and faculty to get together.  It was real nice-- had a good time talking -- but I had to leave to go to work in the library so I didn't talk to as many people as I wanted to.  The wine turned out to be a wine, ginger ale, and vodka concoction which more than hit the spot.

Tonight I had to work 4-10 in the library -- ugh.  Was glad to leave -- not a whole lot to do so I looked at books during the slow times.  Today I went in the bookstore -- looks kinda nice, will have to make a close inspection.  Don't think they have a music room, though, in the student center.

What's happening with you?!?  Are you in Pittsburgh?  I'm dying to see you -- seeing you for a short weekend and then not for months is rough on the system.  Would love to talk with you.  Would love to...

Time to switch the topic.  Tomorrow I have to work to make up for the hours missed on Monday (school holiday), so I'm going really early to see if I can get on line early at the Bursars to get my bill straightened out.  What a pain.  But the day will have a nice ending as I am going to have dinner with Chris (who is also a Scorpio) and who you will most definitely meet if you come to visit.

I am going to turn off the light now -- will continue later.

Good morning it is now 10:05 and I am sitting at the Bursars waiting for #73 to be called.  At least with the take-a-check you don't have to worry about losing your place in line so you can go do something else or get something else to read.  I went and got something to read "Concept of Social Organization".  Ugh.  Skimmed it (it was an additional reading) and copied the nice outline at the end showing the framework of bonds of organization.  Ugh.  Have been sitting here for an hour because I didn't arrive early enough (it was about 8:55 -- five minutes before opening) and am 15th in line but they are around #70 so it shouldn't be too much longer.

This morning was a glorious morning with the sun shining, dew on the ground and the air crisp and cool.  What a delight to sleep with all the windows open and using a blanket as compared to all the windows open -- no air stirring and sweating all night long.  They are on #71 and I am #73 so will continue later.

Saturday 8 -- Hello again.  I am sitting in my room and just finished listening to Brian Auger's Second Wind so now will put on Future Games and make some comments then re-read your letter (savor) and make more comments, nice ones, of course.

Friday was one of those days that everything just goes well and ends without a let-down, but a hope and looking forward to the days ahead.  I paid my student fee and activity fee and that took care of my bill because of the tuition waiver.  (I sent a letter to Warren telling all so you should get it soon or maybe already have.)  Today I finally received my scholarship incentive and that removes all doubt from my bill.  Then I went to Korvettes and received my 2nd and final check, unless I work during Christmas or something like that.  Then I made it to the State Office Building to visit family friend Muriel Griffin, who wrote a very nice, glowing report of my character for my file.  Then "work" in the media lab from 12-4, which resulted in reading one required article and talking to Ken, Jim, and Julie. Then on to Wolf Rd. to meet Chris as she came out form work.  She has been staying at her friend's apt while they are away.  Went there and she cooked a delicious spaghetti dinner -- with salad, wine (Liebfraumilch), and bread.  Mmmm sumptious.  I also called home from there and found out that I had gotten a letter from you (had a feeling it had come).  We talked about our likes and dislikes and other sundry things and then decided to go drinking.  Had to go by the house so I could read your letter (put such a fine touch to the evening) and played Grover Washington Jr. for Chris.  Off to Jonathan's (oh yeah -- I drove for a change since I now have my own wheels) to drink and listen to the folk singer who was very pleasant to listen to and was very competent on the 12-string guitar.  Last stop after that was Denny's for nourishment and then drop Chris at the apt.  What a fine day!

Now comments as I re-read your letter.  I am sorry also that you did not make it here, but I understand because the same happened to me and that's how I spent 8 days in N.Y. earlier in the summer.  My family and friends were looking forward to meeting the mystery man and I wasn't going to let you leave without going dancing.  Just no way -- I had plans for us to go out with Dick and Chris and have a good time -- but it will come.  Maybe I can come to Pittsburgh for a weekend in the near future -- what do you think?   Let me know.  Oh yeah, flash back to when I first met you and danced with you at Maddy's party -- I was never the same after that.

This week I saw "Paper Moon" and really enjoyed it.  Tatum O'Neal was just incredible plus I appreciated Ryan for the 1st time.  The girl who played Norma Jean (my mom's first name and my middle one) was excellent.  Trixie Delight was hysterical but tragic underneath.  It was such a well done film -- I think I could see it again (especially since I missed the first minutes of the film.)

Since you talked so much about your story, I'm dying to know more and would love to read it.  I'm really happy for you -- I din't know you wrote anything except your journals.

Think tonight after dinner I will head over to Korvettes and check out the record dept and say hello to some people while it is the slow time.

Earlier today I drove to Amsterdam to visit my friend Evelyn -- I had a feeling she wouldn't be home and she wasn't so I left a note telling her briefly what's been happening.  I just wanted to go out -- it's been so beautiful -- fall is my favorite time of year.

That's about it for now -- take care of yourself.  I love you.




No comments:

Post a Comment