Friday, November 22, 2013

April 11, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)


I just drove Kathy to the airport.  My heart is beating at a normal rate again.  (I had never driven home from there alone).  I can't believe what a good weekend this was.  The last time I saw Kathy was May 1973, and we had been friendly for 2 years, but she's  not a writer (like us!) & other than an occasional call or note, I hadn't heard from her.  Ii was slightly apprehensive about this visit -- but we just blabbered on like 2 magpies from Thursday til this afternoon & we've gotten caught up on all levels -- superficial & psychological & in-between - a really satisfying experience to renew a relationship that you do value, but didn't get much chance to pursue.  It was so great to have company 'round the clock, too.  Bob (her boyfriend) couldn't come, but they are going to come together next time & in a way it was providential since we'd never have talked so much with another person here!  Brook was thrilled -- especially since he didn't have to listen to me for a few days!!


This little insert came in this writing paper.  Do you think I need to sent for it?  I know my letters must be boring & incoherent sometimes (at least!) but I don't think I need "professional" help at this time!

Your letters usually arrive on Thursdays, or Fridays, for me, & I always answer them as soon as I can & I really enjoy hearing from you this often.  I'm afraid my other letters often get neglected, but more of my other "pen pals" don't answer nearly as quickly as my friend Paul.  He must know that I need this continuum, huh?

Actually, I'm not a phone person.  I like to see the person I'm speaking to.  Just the voice makes me feel a great gap!  I know I'm persnickety, but I guess it's too late to change -- and especially at this senile age I'm about to reach!!!

As for your lack of concentration -- maybe it's something trite like spring fever?  (Not to belittle the effects.)  The weather here has been so gorgeous.  I often find myself just sittin' 'n' 'starin' -- instead of doing!  Linda (my boss) & I manage to spend at least one of our breaks outside now, even it it's just to sit on the parking lot curb out back of the store.  We've decided that once or twice a week, we'll take turns bringing a picnic lunch.  (Kath brought me a perfect picnic basket from Bob for Easter -- almost as if she had guessed that I'd been wanting one!)  Another funny thing -- we both  had a very similar dream on the first night she was here.  (Both dreamed that I was late for work the next day!)


I really liked Kiss Me Deadly, as I remember -- but I don't remember too much about it.  (I hate the Academy Awards -- ever since John Wayne won the Oscar over Dustin Hoffman) (I've boycotted them, ever since).  I've never wanted to see Rocky -- maybe I'm just strange -- since everyone else seems to rave about it!

One of my favorites was Boys in the Band.  I love Leonard Frey -- ever since I met him & he gave me half of his dinner!  (I'll tell you that one, sometime!)


Kathy & I couldn't find a movie to watch here in Weird Land -- so we decided to see Thieves (Marlo Thomas).  Brook said he'd throw up, so we went while he was at work, so he wouldn't have to. Actually, it wasn't too bad.  There were a few funny lines, but her husband -- who was supposed to have been in a tough street game at one, looked like a marshmallow, to me -- unlike any street person  I've ever known!!  And to top it off, he played the flute!  (Very well.)  Oh well -- talk about incongruities.  Actually I usually go to movies to be entertained on a very superficial level (is this blasphemy to you?) and only at the worst ones do I get indignant!  (My mother & you would get along great.  She's a real movie buff -- but mostly about the older ones.  She's not ready for most of the newer ones, she says.)


I hope you had a splendid time in my town.  Did you say hello to Billy Penn for me?  Hope so!

Do you think you'll be out this way this summer at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment