Wednesday, November 13, 2013

April 3, 1977 (Letter from Kathy)


Have the typewriter out to type a letter for Gary, so decided to get a little much needed practicing in on you!!

Gary's out in the garage helping a 14 year old neighbor with his motorcycle.  This kid has pretty neat parents.  The kind I'm sure Gary wishes he would have had sometimes.  Imagine his parents supporting him in his motorcycles and actually standing out in the desert on a freezing windy day to watch -- no way!!  They don't even want to talk about it on the phone.

We are headed for a 170 mile race from Burns to Bend, Oregon on April 16th.

I had a week off in March that coincided with a trip that my neighbor was taking to San Francisco and Sacramento to visit her Mother in a convalescent home.  Gary had no objection to me going. (He planned to lose 5 pounds while I was gone.  It's my fault he's 5-10 pounds overweight because if we weren't' married he wouldn't come home and wind up in front of the TV and could ride his bike every night instead.  How's that for shifting the blame?  We had a good chuckle over that -- especially when he didn't lose any weight while I was gone.)   Anyway, we spent over 20 hours with her Mom that week and got plenty of shopping, eating, driving, and spending in!!!

We'll be glad to see spring arrive for real and for the wind to stop huffing everything 10 houses away.  Not sure how much we will be affected by the drought in the Northwest.  We may be in an area that's unpopulated enough that we may still be able to maintain yards.  Time will tell.

We have a community water system here and the board election comes up May 2.  We really have to put our heads together in this neighborhood to keep out the guys who can profit from being on the board.  I dread the upcoming election.  The neighborhood is split over a dog shooting.  What a mess!!

Thank you for your invitation.  We get one every year from Gary's relatives for their annual July 4th celebration.  If we got home we could party all day!!

Imagine Mardi and Marti would have been a little chocked over twins.  Always thought I'd like to have twins -- but a boy and girl the first time.  Don't expect too much do I?

Gary's job is continuing to go well and mine also.  Think I've got the most progressive dentist in Idaho and if not, certainly the office with the most benefits.  He mellows a little every year as he becomes happier with himself and gives us less static.

We had thought that Gary would get a company car about now, but come to find out that the parts manager has been there 13 years and never offered a car, so Gary just doesn't know now whether he'll get one or not.  We did sell the Corvette back to the guy that we bought it from and Gary has been riding his motorcycle (one of them I should say) to work and on the colder mornings I drop him off.  I still worry a little that maybe he's not sure whether he wants to be there or not, but then other days I think I'm just reading him wrong.  I know he has a lot of responsibility there and pressure.  Thank my lucky stars that I have the job I have with good working conditions, good hours, and good pay.

Glad to hear you are feeling "settled in".  Little surprised too that we haven't gotten a card from some distant or near state, but figured you found your niche.

We did have a neat time in Pa for the holidays.  I really love to visit, but there's not a whole lot that I miss from there.  I love the independence that our location gives us.  Know we never could live in the same town with Gary's parents.  They would drive us to divorce.  Feel now that our marriage is better than it has ever been.  Sometime, I don't remember or how but I expected the fact that Sunday is Gary's day in the desert.  I plan Sunday for myself to do "my" things, even if that means saving the cleaning and cooking.  Actually I've been reading novels, which I can get lost in for days if I let myself.

I can lose myself just as easily in the garden for an afternoon and not even think of it as work -- it's therapy from the routine of the weeks I guess.  It's really neat how we grow.

Gosh, I sure am rattling away.  How come (no, why) -- starting to talk like the farmers -- do I get so thoughtful when I write to you?  I would guess because your letters always seem so thoughtful and get me in the mood.

My boss brought out a load of manure for my garden today.  I offered his son the part I didn't plan to use since they don't have room for one.  Gary and I went food shopping while they rototilled the manure in on their side, came back to find it all done.  Sure thought that was nice.

Kind of looking forward to our 10 year class reunion, sometimes wondering though if I really care what happened to many of them.  It almost made me feel good that I didn't remember Rick Hackett (that doesn't even sound right) when I saw him at the gym at Christmas.  Linda Dies said, "gee, you guys must not look at your yearbook much."  Seems another life away to have gone to high school there.  Wow -- Gary just put the light on.  Guess it was getting dark -- been writing all afternoon.

Enough is enough -- take care.



No comments:

Post a Comment