Monday, November 18, 2013

April 9, 1977 (Letter from Connie)

Part of a double-bill at UConn.  (Hope the print wasn't this bad.)


Are you still out there?  I haven't heard from you in a beastly long time. (But then it's probably me who hasn't written....)

March was kind of hysterical for me.  I don't know why really, and I do dread getting my phone bill.  So on an absolute whim, i decided on Wednesday at 10 pm to fly home that Friday night -- if, (I bargained with myself) I could get my filthy house cleaned up.  I can live in a filthy house, I just can't leave one.  (You never saw anyone more so fast!)  So I took a week off, charged the flight, and ran like hell, home.  Had to be there:  the daffodils and cherry trees were in bloom, and it was my birthday.  And I wanted to go home.

Had a very good time.  I"m always so sane there.  Here I'm just out of synch, out of step -- and almost mad.  There, I have quiet, silly, comfortable times with friends, or just easy times shopping, walking, or doing almost nothing.  A few days there charges up my batteries so I can face Wyoming.

Got my resume whipped into shape and sent out a dozen or so to likely Seattle places.  And I have friends keeping a watch out for me.  Talked to the Weyerhausen people when I was there, and I have a phone interview Monday with Batelli.  Love my job here, and they've been so good to me, and easy to work for that I hope I'll be able to come to a good stopping place before I go 0-- and give them enough notice to fill my spot, too.

Caught a beastly cold the instant I landed back in Denver on Monday a.m.  I'm just now starting to recover.

Aargh!  Got my hair cut in Seattle, too.  And shorter than I wanted.  Everybody likes it; I'm not sure.  Love my long mane, and I'm not sure about "the short perky look".

Did I tell you I always had a black thumb?  Seems it must have been neglect more than anything, because I'm having good luck with my new plants -- they're growing like crazy -- especially my coleus and variegated ivy.  What a surprise.

Still feebly pounding away on the old piano, and making horrid sounds.  But I also love it.  Will buy a piano when I move home.  Have to.  Did I tell you I want to buy a house and get a little dog and the whole bit.  I'm tired of virtually living out of a suitcase.

Went over to our beach place for a moment last week.  Sad to see the cabin all crumpled, but it's still a restful place.  Decided to build my house on the beach -- looks like the only halfway stable place left.

That emergency trip to Seattle was the smartest thing I've done in a long time.  I feel now as though I'm over the crest and on the downhill side -- that the rest of my time here will be quiet waiting to go home -- and not the hysteria I'd had before.

So pal, if you had any ideas of visiting me you'd better hurry.  I will be home by fall.

Take care of yourself, Paul.  And keep those cards and letters coming in.  Love getting furious and murderously jealous of you for all your fun in Boston and New York.  Boo!!!

So drop a line and let me know how you're doing!  And i you've in Seattle (God's country) we'll go see Tut!

2nd feature

No comments:

Post a Comment