Thursday, November 28, 2013

April 26, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)


I'm really happy to hear that you are beginning to appreciate Philly!  It's about time!  Actually, I guess it has to grow on you.  I did have 22 years, didn't I?

Today I got a new sewing machine.  I'm awfully in awe of it still.  It's a Viking 6000 -- with lots of fancy stitches.  Hearts & flowers & xxx's etc. etc.  My other machine cost me $85, 5 years ago & it was all I could possibly afford at the time.  This one costs $800, but it's on sale for $650 -- which is still a lot!  But I decided to really splurge, or rather, Brook decided that I could -- especially, since I do make all my clothes.  I'm sure in a year or 2, it will pay for itself.  It's guaranteed for 30 years, so I imagine I'll have it for at least that long.  (Or my heir will, at least.)  Brook paid the 1/3 for my birthday, and I'm going to pay for the rest with money I make at told old Sears!  When you think of it, you pay $5000 for a car (or less) & it lasts for a few years.  (10 at most.)  So that's my rationale for spending so much on a sewing machine.  Spendo the magnificent LIVES!!!

I've been so busy lately. I always seem to have a surge of energy in April but this is ridiculous -- I've been working at least 3 days/week, sometimes 5.  Next week we have an inspection of our displays by the "big boss" from Salt Lake City, so I've been told I'll work every day til then (except Sunday) from 8 AM to 6 PM & also til 11 or 12 the night before the inspection.  Yech!  I'm not really looking forward to this, but the overtime money won't hurt, I suppose!

Also, Linda (my "boss") is in an art show on May 15th & is going to hire me to do all her matting (which will take about 2 8-hr days).  And then she's talking about us both entering things in a craft fair this summer & I don't have anything prepared for that, at all.  So I guess I'd better start weaving, etc.  If only I could channel my interests into 1 thing right now & complete it.   I feel very scatterbrained about so much -- even about little everyday things.  I don't feel like doing anything routine -- like cleaning.  And as I look around me, this house certainly shows it!  If I were home more, it would bother me to see things out of place, but right now I seem to overlook them very well.  Actually, I can't sit in a place very long -- maybe it's the weather, which has been too gorgeous for words, but I'm ANTSY!!

Lately, even on my few days off, I feel that I have to go somewhere, so I've been walking from our house to the Holiday Inn (2 miles each way) when I feel this way & that calms me down a little. (Or rather, tires me out so I don't feel so crazy!)  I'm hoping to work my way to the 2 1/2-3 mile point each way -- maybe after the inspection this next week.

I'm sure this letter is completely incoherent & I do apologize, but I'll try not to make you read any more of this now, ok?  I promise to be better next time!  If only it would rain once or twice, then I'd feel more settled, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment