Saturday, November 2, 2013

March 15, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)

Part of a double bill, "Cornbread, Earl & Me" being the other feature, at a West Springfield second-run theater.


These pass 2 weeks have been incredibly good ones for me!  My horoscope (a very accurate one which I sent away for) said March would be very active & it certainly has been, so far!  It all started with a premonition 2 Sundays ago.  I have to call it a premonition, because I felt a positive PUSH to go out that day & buy a newspaper -- something I only very rarely do!  Brook was working & I went to get a paper & I opened it up & the first thing I saw was an ad for a display assistant at Seat her in the Mall.  It sounded like it was something I'd like.  So on Monday, I casually walked into Sears, asked about the job, was interviewed & an hour later, they called me & told me I had the job.  I was amazed, since there were so many applicants!  Actually, the girl who interviewed me is my boss & we just got along very well & seemed to have some things in common.  Anyway -- I started yesterday & it's going to be a d day per week thing (although I'll have t work a full week once in awhile, but my hours are very flexible, which is always nice.  I can start as early as I want, after I know what I'm doing more.  I do all signs for display & also help make up the displays & I'm also responsible for the printmaking for sales, ads, etc.   So far, I've just been making signs, which has been interesting & they really keep me busy -- which I like!  Part of my job will also be to make sure the different department keep their displays neat & their decorations in order, etc.  I'm not sure I'll like doing that, but I suppose after I know people better, I can adjust.  I'm just happy to have a job that is consuming, right -- now.  I'll still have time for crafts.  (Although no sewing 'cause a part on my machine coked out & the man says it'll take 6 months [no one hurries here] to get it replaced.  There goes my new summer wardrobe!)  I guess it doesn't matter too much.  I can wear anything I like here most of the time (& most of the time, that's jeans of course!) because I get so dirty.  Yesterday I came home looking like a person who might have been trapped in a coal mine!!!  It does feel good to get right into something with your hands, though, instead of sitting somewhere doing the same stuff all day -- every day.  And the atmosphere in the display room is great -- free & open & I feel at home there already.  (Odd, since It usually takes me longer than 2 days to get used to new physical surroundings.)  Well, enough about the job....

Brook bought me an aquarium & some fish to keep me company.  A dog would be a responsibility I'm not prepared to accept right now.  Maybe later on.

The fish are really beautiful & I just love watching then.  I can just sit there forever!!  I've even begun  to discern separate personalities among them.  Their traits are most noticeable when they are fed -- especially their aggressive & survival instincts.  I'd like to get some angelfish soon -- maybe in a month.  But, they may be difficult to care for.  I'll have to find out more about them.  They don't go for walks, but....

Last Saturday night, I had some of Brooks' chums over for dinner.  Most of them are single & eat dinner every night at the site cafeteria (where 2 have gotten ptomaine poisoning!), so they were really appreciative of a "home-cooked" meal.  We all had a good time.  I really liked all of them. (I've always been wary of engineers, for some reason -- some of the ones I know at V.U. were such zombies! & seemed to have no soul!)  They were all so different, and interesting.  Brook had told a few that I had Tarot cards & they all wanted their cards read (which was fine with me, since you can find out so much about a person that way.)  They weren't too skeptical, either, as I had suspected they would be.  Anyway, it was fun.  John Taggart told me he might be coming home with Brook a lot in the next few months.  I told him, in that case, I'd have to starting taking a few lessons from the "ptomaine kings" at the site.

Well, that's about all this time.

P.S.  I've got you beat.  I have $1.78 in my piggy bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment