Saturday, November 9, 2013

March 31, 1977 (Letter from Sue)



I know -- it seems unforgivable, doesn't it?  Actually, your guess that I've been plotting my escape to the West is not far wrong.  I was in Calif. for a month and that is the reason you haven't heard from me -- your letter was awaiting upon my return.  I would love to see you again -- the wknd you mentioned, however, I will be again in Calif. (an oral civil service exam for S. Mateo County.)  We'll have to wait til later in the spring.

California was a heady experience.  I always revert to my personality of lazy decadence when I go out.  I was trying my damnedest to coolly & efficiently track down job leads -- but kept getting sidetracked by the pursuit of pleasure.  My friend Sally & I adventured in San Diego one weekend to visit an old flame of hers who is now in the Navy.  I had a most unforeseen, unexpected tryst with another young Naval officer.  I, who have always scoffed at the military. Now I wish I'd plied your sister with questions.  I also managed to burn a few bridges that had been rotting for some time.  I cleaned up my act, in other words.

Speaking of cleaning up one's act -- did I tell you about my adventure w/ E. Baker @ Midwinter?  Obviously not, since you haven't heard from me in 6 months.  We made arrangements to see one another but he again got caught up w/ busy business -- though this time he finally showed.  "Enough" I cried.  What a ridiculous situation.  The only thing that appeals to me about him is his looks -- and also, an aura of energy & power-drive which he exudes.  Otherwise, he's a pretty egotistical cookie, which is OK, I suppose, but I always become too enraged for that type.  I absolutely despise, detest & loathe being either stood up or made to wait an inordinate amount of time.  So I guess my extremely erratic fling with Mr. B has wound down.  It's much better this way -- much more calm & rational for me.

I'm glad you're feeling comfortable w/ your job situation.  It's easy to feel wanderlust after 6 months to a year, but as you deduced, moving on whenever you feel the urge really gets you in very unstable job conditions.  (Unless maybe you're a musician.)  In most jobs, I think one has to "invest" some time in order to move on with clarity.

My job situation is actually fine.  In lots of ways, I should heed those words I wrote in the above paragraph,  If I were to stay @ the library, I'm sure I could advance to whatever I might want.  I like where I'm working now & with whom.  If only this library system were suddenly transported to Calif, everything would be peachy.  But alas -- the grass seems to be greener out there (though w/ the drought, that won't last too long), so I've gotta move along.  I've been away form my family too long.  I'm sure you can understand that feeling.

[By the way, did you read that Rolling Stone article (sometime in Feb.) about 3 strange suicides of the boys in Oil City?  Know anything about that?]

I haven't seen much movie-wise lately except Rock which I found delivered what it promised.  Implausible story, but very uplifting.  I think Sylvester Stallone is my new man -- he has a touch of ironic genius.  I thought he was hilarious @ the Oscars.  Was disappointed in The Last Tycoon.  Thought Bound for Glory was beautiful but too pat & glorified.  The new Tanner film -- Jonah Will Be 25 in the Year 2000 is probably the best thing I've seen in the last 6 mos.  How 'bout you?

Well, Paul -- I hope you've forgiven me.  Let's try to get together some time this spring (before it gets too jungle-like humid).

P.S.  You aren't, by chance, tempted by the glamorous prospect of attending ALA in Detroit???

No comments:

Post a Comment