Thursday, June 14, 2012

October 9, 1972 (Letter from Herb)



Pablo, how the fuck are you?  Enough of the formalities, though.  Believe it or not, in a strange sort of way, I miss Buffalo, or maybe it's just school.  Whatever, it was good hearing from you.

My life is progressing fine.  Work is great.  I really enjoy my job.  I'm learning quite a bit, everyone is friendly, and the work just couldn't be more interesting.  Guess I really got lucky landing a job here.  The area is beautiful -- autumn never seemed so beautiful.  (Can't imagine saying that in Buffalo.)  No shit, this country is really pretty.  Pennsylvania is a nice state -- I've even got Pennsy plates on my car -- I'm a goddamn Pennsylvanian.

I've been keeping myself very busy.  Work takes up most of my time -- but I do a few other things.  I've met a few people -- but incredibly interesting -- nothing like your typical college graduate.  That's the best thing about being out of school I think, meeting people who aren't so alike.  Looking back, I can't believe how alike everyone I knew was.  Background, manners, dress, etc.  It's really a great change.  I've had a few dates and I'm trying hard to meet girls.  I want to start going out a lot.  I enjoy it, and I"m no where near ready to spend my life with one someone.

Hey, isn't it weird that Kenny and I are so close to each other.  I speak to him pretty often -- it's reassuring having a close friend nearby, it makes things all the more comfortable.   You should be hearing from him soon -- he's been busting his ass though, and hasn't had too much time to write.

My apartment is really shaping up.  It's quite a place -- luxury personified -- no where near the typical student dwelling I was used to.  I'm building a desk -- yeah old clutzy Herb.  Well, I'm gonna try.  I need a hobby so if I enjoy it, I'll be able to furnish the whole place.

Paul, you gotta get down here -- it's no Laguna but I'll do.  We got good dope, pretty girls, great countryside, refreshing beer, plenty of room, and me and Kenny.  Anytime you can -- write.  I save all the good stuff to bullshit about over a good brew.  Best of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment