Tuesday, June 12, 2012

September 25, 1972 (Letter from Mardi)



Thought I'd drop you a few quick lines before I get to my exciting job this morning!\
You may know by now, but Barb's mother died Fri night.  I talked to her Fri night and everyone is OK, at least her and her father, Tim and Dan are doing fine.  Everyone is relieved that she is no longer suffering.  The funeral was today.  I guess Rick was going to try and get there.

My mother also was talking to Mark and he has gotten a divorce.  I'll have to drop him a line.  Barb and I were talking about Joan and she and Freddie are having a very bad time of it too.  I hope she gets her student teaching in.  Joan has tried to file for divorce, but Freddie manages to show and talk her out of it.  She hasn't discussed it with anyone but Barb.  As for Bill and I we're still keeping things separated and relaxed.  Sue should be moving in at the end of the week.  I have painted the trim in my bedroom and have gotten an antique vanity and dresser for Sue and I.  I'm tackling the kitchen next and then the bath, things will be organized soon!  (Organized? never but..)

I can't believe you're at Gleason's again.  Immediately projected back to 1969-70?  It's better than not working t all.  I'm glad you applied at U of M, their library science may not be too demanding but it's one of the best universities there are.  Minneapolis and Minnesota, unfortunately, are not familiar or do not hit people as being a well-established hub of the midwest.  The word "midwest" alone tends to turn people from the east or west away, I certainly never pictured it to be what it really is.  It's really a unique city right now.  Everyone has all the culture and activities of the city within reach, but have a community life and family life as well.  I'm sure though that good old Msp will be expanding its boundaries and pushing the rural and suburban communities out of touch with the city.  I think tomorrow I'll join the JC's!??

Anyway, I know how you fell about being back at UB.  It doesn't feel like the same place.  It never is when the people are gone.  It doesn't make any difference where you are.  People make your life, not the place.  BUT I doubt if I'll ever move to Warren, Pa.  Let's be sensible!  I feel sorry for Foster, I can't get over his inability to "cope"!  He's just as bad as, or worse than the rest of the people in Warren.  He's had more than his share of opportunities.  I can't figure out what he expects from life.  He wants a well paying job, car, apt, etc right now!  He's going to get a late start.  I hope he gets something so he can get away before it's too late.  He's so afraid of not succeeding that he's not.  Oh gosh oh me!

I've got to close and get to work.  Take care.

Went to see the Allman Brothers again, just love 'em.  ZOWIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment