Thursday, June 7, 2012

August 14, 1972 (Letter from Renee)


It was so nice to return home and find your letter in the mailbox today.  As always I enjoy hearing form you and it gives me such a warm feeling to know that we are continuing our correspondence.

I have so many millions other things that I should be doing today (the laundry, cleaning the apt. etc.) but  I find that I would much rather choose the "escape" route and spend a quiet afternoon at my desk.  I really enjoy the peace, quiet, and solitude of the late afternoon hours when I am at home doing whatever I feel like doing.  I tend to work, write and just sit in spurts and I can't say that I mind it at all.  There is something to be said for just being alone with only thoughts and I rather enjoy  day when I don't even hear the sound of my own voice until Morrey comes home from work.

Morrey and I returned late last night from a weekend trip to Warren.  My brother Hersh and his wife and daughter were there from Omaha and we had a most enjoyable visit.  We reminisced a good deal about when we were kids living at home and we stayed up half the night just talking and joking around. My parents, of course, are always in 7th heaven when anyone of us kids comes home for a weekend and it gave us a good deal of pleasure to see the old twinkle in their eyes when we were ll together laughing and having a merry time of it.  Really, Morrey and I are very fortunate since we both love to go to the cottage and we get along so well with my parents.  Sometimes they are really the life of the party and there really is no such thing as a generation gap when we are with them.  Morrey and I have a relationship with my folks that is ideal.   They are like our best friends and they seem to enjoy doing anything we choose to do.  My folks have always (as I'm sure you know) been quite hospitable and their warmth, good humor, and general sense of "fun" makes any visit to Warren most relaxing and highly enjoyable.  My folks have never interfered in any way with the way Morrey and I live -- they are always willing to extend us a hand if we need it and they never pry into our personal business.  We surely are two very lucky people.  Although my family was never very close when I was younger because of the age differences then, we sure do make up for it now!

I really don't' have much in the say of "news" to tell you about.l  School started on Sept 5 (3 weeks away) and I'm nowhere near ready.  I keep putting things off thinking I still have plenty of time to do them but time is quickly passing by and at the rate I'm going I'll be ready for school on January 1, 1973.

I can't begin to tell you how much I've enjoyed this summer.  Everything has been so carefree, devil-may-care.  I've done a few of the things I had planned to do, relaxed a great deal -- and just plain old "been myself".  This is the first time in a long time Morrey and I haven't had financial worries and somehow we've managed to do just about everything we've wanted to do all summer.  Th ere isn't a single thing I can think of that I desire, or need or want and I'd never deemed that all these things would come true for me.  I used to think that it would take us 10-15 years of married life before I'd have everything I wanted, but I find that I have all those things, and more right here and now.   How wonderful life is Paul -- how exciting, alive, vibrant and wonderful I feel!  I guess not many people are as lucky as Morrey and I to have each other, to have the things we want together, and to do anything we ant at any time without being tied down in any way or responsible to anyone but ourselves.  At times I think we are rather selfish in feeling this way but I know that we both work very hard to reach our goals and we are constantly setting new heights to be reached so that we will never be satisfied with the "status-quo" or even settle down to it.  There's too much of life to live, too many things to see and do and try to ever make us stand still and stay happy for long.  I don't want to close myself up to the rest of the world with a certain social set of friends, or a particularly "perfect" set of surroundings by the time I'm middle-aged.  What is perfect and good today will have flaws tomorrow.  I never want to become stagnated and stale just because I accept everything that surrounds me.  Life moves on and in order to feel really alive and part of it all we must move as well.  Fairy tales that come true are never what one thought they would be-0- nor are they perfect.  Well, enough of my philosophy for now.  I really must close for now since my "man" will be home soon and I have to do a few chores yet today.

Be well, take care and write again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment