Wednesday, June 6, 2012

August 13, 1972 (Letter from Kenny)



Hi asshole!  How the fuck are you?  I'm sorry I haven't written but I've had a lot on my mind until recently.  To make it short I got into Univ of Penn and I had a big decision to make between Penn and NYU.  I was going out of my mind as I'm sure you can well imagine.  I called all the big firms in MY and they said the schools now were pretty equal because NYU has come a long way.  I went to Phil to talk to the people there and all in all I still came up with a deadlock.  I talked to one guy who said he had the same decision last yr but went to Penn because they gave him more money (the reverse was true in my case).  I told him I was really caught up in the Ivy League mystique with Penn and went on for about 15 minutes about that.  He said the Ivy League really wasn't that important so I asked him where he went as an undergraduate, and naturally he said Harvard.  I decided to go to NYU at first because I knew people going there and figured I'd be comfortable.  After thinking about it though it seemed stupid because I'd be going to be with people I wasn't that crazy about and for 3 yrs I'd stagnate with the same people.  So I'm going to Penn and meet all new people and although I don't think I'll do as well as if I'd gone to NYU whatever I lack in that respect perhaps I'll make up as far as being a more well-rounded person.  I got a single in the dorms and I'm trying for one with a semi-[private bathroom.  School starts August 29th which is a real kick in the ass but what the hell.  I don't know my address there yet so you can still get a hold of me here.

I haven't gotten to Wolfe's book yet but when I do (hopefully soon) I'll write you my feelings.  I'm really glad that you seem to content with everything because that's really good.  Tony was in N.Y. yesterday and he and Harvey stopped over for awhile.  He's driving out to Calif in 8/21 and he wants to meet you at the Grand Canyon or something.  It's great to hear that he can go home now and that he and his father can get along.  It would have been a hell of a thing to go to Calif knowing you might never see your home again.  How are all the people in Warren?  I'm going to be a Pennsylvania resident now too.  Herb is pretty happy I'm going to school in Philly although at last report he's been meeting some people finally.  I saw Chris about 3 wks ago and he and Judy did break up although he seemed to be handling it pretty well.

Guess what?  Eric and Linda are engaged!?  Lauren and I went out with them last Friday to see Slaughterhouse Five and we found out rather unexpectedly.  They're getting married next summer.  This past Saturday (last night as a matter of fact) I went to a friend's engagement party and saw some friends from high school I haven't seen in 2 yrs.  It was really strange seeing kids I grew up with getting engaged.  Lauren really wants to get married next summer also so I don't know what's going to happen.  I want to in some respects but as of now I don't want to in other respects.  It's either next summer or the summer after but I don't know which, that's pretty scary too.

Slaughterhouse Five is a pretty good film and it's worth seeing if you haven't already done so.  I didn't read the book so it was confusing at first but it was well done.

I got tickets to the Stones concert for the last night of the tour (also Jagger's birthday).  They were pretty shitty though (behind the stage in God's country) so naturally I sold them and have regretted it ever since.  I'm not working anymore but just taking it easy and leading the good life.

Write soon if you can and let me know when you're hitting the east coast.  Take it easy and stay content (better word than happy).

No comments:

Post a Comment