Saturday, June 2, 2012

August 3, 1972 (Letter from Renee)



Many thanks for you letter and the promptness of your reply.  It's rather an unusual feeling to have someone to be as conscientious about correspondence as you seem to be and I really commend you for your efforts.

I really don't have too much "news" to tell you since I have been rather lazy and inactive this summer.  Since it is nearing the end of the summer I have begun to get a guilty feeling for not having accomplished all that I'd like to in the way of plans for school in the fall and it has been just this week that I have gotten off my big arse and begun to straighten out my files, do some reading, studying, and intense planning for the months to come.   Although this is not a terribly pleasurable job I am sure that it will save me a considerable amount of time during the school year.  It's rather funny Paul but I am a totally different person when I assume the title of teacher during the school year.  My interest and devotion are centered on only one thing -- what I do in the classroom -- and I sort of block everything else from my mind.  Morrey and I live together but only a small part of my time then is given to my role as homemaker and wife.  I (or should I say we) spend very little time socializing during that time and I can't say that I really suffer by it in the last.  I'm usually so glad to get home at night, out of my school clothes, and out of my "teacher personality" that it takes me a couple of hours just to unwind from the day and begin to look towards "tomorrow".  Morrey really doesn't mind because he is still going to school at night and when I spend 3 hours a night on my schoolwork he spends his time on his own studies -- so everything works out fine.  I guess that is why I've really enjoyed this summer vacation because I've been totally carefree, enjoying my lack of "mental" responsibilities, and spending a good time with the few friends we have.  It is funny but when I teach school we sort of schedule in a little social life on the weekends, and it is so nice in the summer to be able to do anything we want in the evenings, read all night if I want to, and sleep away half of the day!  So much for a description of our "average" lives!

I guess that I'm finally beginning to realize that all my life I've wanted to do just one thing well -- and one thing that I can be proud to have accomplished.  Teaching has a great many opportunities for me to achieve that goal.  I can hardly wait until three or four years have gone by and I have begun to take on other goals and responsibilities as well.  Morrey and I haven't really been joiners in anythings because we like to think that if we join something we share a commitment to participate fully and not just in "name only".  So I guess we'll just take our "slice of life" one bite at a time so that we can cope well with it and do the best we can.  So -- to be (and us) that's what life is all about right now.

Gee -- when I look back on my high school days I can really begin to see how far I've come -- and in many ways it is a good feeling.  I've finally begun to realize the meaning of friendship, devotion, responsibility, and of course, love.  My life is so very different now and my attitudes and ideals have surely changed -- for the better I'd like to think.  I am really wondering when I go back to Warren for my high school class reunion if the others that I had known "way back then" have changed at all.  Did you ever get the feeling Paul that you are just beginning to really "know yourself"?  That's how I feel now.  I've learned to care a lot less about what other people think and a whole lot of the credit belong to my husband whom I feel has a good self-concept and has always been a strong and very independent sort of individual.  It seems that a lot of people I once knew were important to me (Mardi, Barb and the whole gang) I have really lost touch with.  Suffice it to say that we certainly don't' run in the same circles anymore and time has done a lot to change one's feelings and emotions.  I had to learn from Morrey that one must accept people for exactly what they are and the way they are and all the wishing and hoping that they would change to suit me wouldn't do any good for any of us.  I tend to be extremely critical of others, whereas Morrey is very kind and willing to be friendly and accept everyone just the way they are and appreciate them as individuals.  I really have no idea what point it is I'm trying to make -- but I guess I'm just letting my feelings be typed on this paper.  Forgive me if I seem pedantic or overly philosophical.

Morrey and I have one more week of his vacation coming which we are taking the last week in August.  Haven't made any plans about what we're going to do just yet.  We might go to Savannah, Georgia since that's where Morrey's father will be working for the next few months and he's invited us to come down and stay with him for awhile.  We might just go to Pa. and enjoy the peace and serenity at my father's cottage, and we might just go crazy and get on a plane and head for anywhere that sounds appealing.  We really are "spur of the moment people".  I hate to plan things cause by the time we're done planning them and talking about them we're usually bored to death with the whole idea by the time we get to do it.  We've been known to do some pretty crazy and unexpected things -- but that's what makes life such a mystery and so much fun.    As a matter of fact we both hate routines -- like eating every night at 6 on the dot or doing our grocery shopping every (?) Monday, or doing the laundry on Tuesday.  I like to do things when I'm in the mood to do them and not until then.  We feel hemmed in when we start living a routine like that.  In fact, Morrey  commented to me the other night that in the 2 1/2 years we've been  married we've never eaten dinner at the same time two nights in a row!  I guess that's why I'm happy with my teaching job -- never a dull moment -- and working with kids one never knows what to expect.

Well Paul, Morrey just walked in the door after coming back from taking a final exam in Psychology and he's demanding food for the hungry bear so I must close for now.  Please take care and be well.  Write again soon.  Is there any possibility that you might be passing through Columbus on your way back east?  If so we insist that you stay with us for as long as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment