Friday, July 20, 2012

June 30, 1973 (Letter from Leslie)



Greetings dear friend!  This week has been really busy.  Dad and I couldn't finish the taping in time for the whole room to be finished so Mom said okay, no more, we will finish it when Robin goes.  So we painted the floor and moved the furniture back in.  Mom painted the woodwork (it's a mint green that looks good enough to eat and the walls will be the same color) and put u the summer curtains so it looks all of a piece and really nice in spite of the unfinished walls.

Robin and Barbara arrived Wednesday night about 2am.  What can I say, it's really nice seeing him and having him around for awhile.  It has been almost three years since Rob and I have been in the house at the same time.  Barb is great and has been and is really good for Rob because he looks fine, happy, and peaceful.  We were all prepared to like her and now we know how great she is.

Surprise, surprise -- Rob and Barb have asked me to come back to California with them and the family says I can go!  Wow, I'm going to California!  I will ride out with them in Rob's car and fly home probably sometime in August.  I plan to buy film for my camera on Monday and do all my necessary errands such as having a physical to send to Albany so I can register.  More on this later.

Last night Blood Sweat the Tears was at Saratoga with Curtis Mayfield.  I had wanted to see it, but didn't have tickets, so I didn't go.  It was pouring rain as it has everyday and night since Rob and Barb got here and therefore it was no advantageous to sitting on the lawn.  This morning there was a review and I'm glad I didn't go.  BS&T had trouble with the sound system and so that messed them up cause nobody could understand the singer plus they were rather lackluster so said the reviewer.  Curtis Mayfield didn't show at all -- his plane was delayed along the line, but his band was there and went on without him.  For another concert he was late so it sounds as if he is trying for a reputation of reliability.

Thursday I went to the movies with Marc, Bernie, and Doug to see the newest James Bond flick "Live and Let Die".  Title song by Paul and Linda McCartney.  I found parts of the film really funny and enjoyed the chase scenes, but it did have serious flaws that one should realize.  The main flaw was that it was racist and used stereotypes to depict the blacks.  The plot has to do with a new heroin supply and its distribution.  The black "dude" stereotype is used quite a bit and distributing night clubs are called "Fillet of Soul".  There are also some scenes on the island where the poppies being grown showing voodoo ceremonies.  Of course the movie was chauvinist and Bond always get his women.  Some of the gimmicks were incredible such as Bond's watch that could produce a powerful magnetic field that would deflect bullets but the worst was when one of the villains was blown up like a balloon with a compressed air pellet and burst.  It was the first time I had seen a James Bond film in the movies.  Roger Moore played Bond instead of Sean Connery.

Monday 2:July '73 -- Hello again.  A friend of my brother's gave him the biggest piece of hash I have ever seen so he and I smoked some last night.  Barb doesn't smoke because she falls asleep.  It was nice -- very cheerful stuff, but I don't think it was that strong -- I don't know, haven't smoke hash in a long time.

The picnic was fun once we finally left the house and got under the way.  The sun did come out and it was really hot.  I went swimming a couple of times.  There was lots of food, but I didn't eat too much -- trying not to be a pig.  I just love riding on the water in a boat, really relaxing.  There's quite a few sailboats and a couple of canoes, both of which I have never ridden in, and both of which I would like to.  Canoeing looks like such a peaceful way to travel and quiet.  I definitely have to go canoeing sometime.

On the radio I am listening to WGY with Ellen.  It is an enjoyable program.  Oh yes -- you wanted to know if the station was like that all of the time or if it was special program -- well it's a special program on Monday-Friday or Saturday from midnight to 5am.  The rest of the programming is much, much more conservative.

Rob tuned up my motorcycle and adjusted the clutch so she was running really sweet.  So I called my friend Chris and asked her if she wanted to go for a ride.  It was/is a really pleasant night for riding -- not cold, slightly humid, and not windy.  The air felt very soft.  We rode about an hour and a half around various local roads -- I felt like Easy Rider just cruising along.

Today I went to Albany to fill out an application to work part-time in the fall -- I hope I will be able to.  Walking to the library I became excited looking at the people and thinking of the new people I would meet and how it is a new environment to go to school in.  I talked to my advisor and made out a tentative schedule. Pre-registration is July 23-27 and I don't know if I will be back from California for that or not.  Otherwise I register on August 24 and am in the second to last group and get what I can take. I don't' know when I'm coming back from Cal.  And I don't know what is the best to do.

Whew -- I just keep yawning so I'm signing off for now.  Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.

Tuesday 3:July '73 -- Hello -- I've been doing some more thinking on California -- the decision to go was easy but my decision not to go was/is hard.  I've told all kinds of people that I was going but anyway why am I not?  Well one of the reasons is/will be going by myself with Rob and Barb.  They will be working during the day so I will be on my own which would be okay for a few days but then I like to have company when I go to see things.  Plus their apartment is small so not much privacy for them or me.  Other big reason is money -- I just don't have the money to spend freely because of no job and my parents are not able to provide at this time and that would be in my mind so with heavy heart, but also with the optimism which says I will get out there sometime, I have decided not to go.

I plan to pre-register on the 23rd, the first day in the morning.  When I talked with my advisor and had made up one schedule but I want to switch it around so that I have no  classes on Monday and Friday -- want to talk to my advisor about how it is having two classes on one day, twice a week.  Class meets only once a week.  More on this later.

Oh -- I forgot to mention that I sold my motorcycle for $750 today!  Wow I thought I would be stuck with it.  This morning I paid my insurance premium and had it inspected and this afternoon this woman who is a friend of one of my mother's friends came by with Rick (my brother's friend) and bought it and took it home.  So I quick called to cancel the insurance and have to turn in my plates.

Will continue later.

Friday 6:July '73 -- Greetings.  I'm going to mail this today so I'm going to finish up.   Yesterday I bought Get Off in Chicago for $1.99 an am very happy to have it in my possession.  Today I want to buy Jack Bruce Songs for a Tailor also $1.99 and Larry Coryell's Offering at the usual price.  I got Gary Burton Quartet Duster out of my library because I saw Coryell's name.  Haven't listened to it yet.  Will discuss in more detail later.  Take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment