Tuesday, July 31, 2012

August 31, 1973 (Letter from Barb)



Hello, hello, I can't believe you're in Pittsburgh! I had a feeling you would never go there for some reason! You'll like it -- it's a little more aesthetically pleasing than Buffalo and it's not "big city" -- have you gone through Shadyside yet? Go to the Gazebo -- it's Pittsburgh's version of the Jewish deli and of course all the in people hang out there. It was good to hear from you -- everyone was interested to hear how you were doing. All of us have been "expressing ourselves", as they say, sometimes conflicting but usually getting along. This week is another heat wave and there's a traffic jam in the kitchen around the ice water. Rick and I did food shopping last week to stock up, so I don't get paid till next Friday and have zero money.  I'll have to borrow money to pay Doyle Monday.  Well, I didn't get the job at the Arlington House at McLean -- they wanted somebody "tougher" -- ? -- after the big rap they gave me about sensitivity.  And I didn't want the other one, so I took the job at Children's.  I've been here all this week and I really like it!  I even got some coloring books and crayons for the little kiddies -- now I have to get a little table for them to sit at -- that ought to keep them quiet!   Rick has been giving me a ride in the morning except for today when it took me over an hour to get here by MTA.  That's not including the bus I didn't wait for, but broke my vow and hitched from Kenmore Square to Longwood, then ran to Children's.  Almost had a cardiac attack when I slid in at 9:15.  I had left Humboldt at 8:00!  Had a hard time getting Harry back in this morning -- the squirrels are on the move and she was freaking out, barking and running from tree to tree.  I should have brought a BONE with me to tempt her back in.  She goes in and sleeps with Bob when I leave in the morning -- what a free and easy dog.  Disgusting.

Let me outline briefly the happenings in and around 15 Humboldt -- after you left Terry and I were alone for a week -- Bob and Steve were off jaunting around.  We started getting paranoid -- locked the bathroom window at night even!  Then I went down to the Vineyard for a couple days (stayed w/ Doreen and John -- they were there on vacation) and stopped on the Cape to see Kinky and Linda.  Rick had lent me his car -- shock!   I got home late last Thursday nite right into zoo city -- 15 Humboldt style -- very reminiscent of the house on the Vineyard 1971!  Steve was in his room balling some chick w/ the door open, Bob was stoned in his room w/ people running in and out and music up to 10 decibels above normal ear damage and Terry was sitting calmly in her room as usual.   I went into my room, dumped all my stuff, came out into the kitchen and Steve is very calmly getting a glass of chocolate milk naked.  I'm there, Hey Steve, would you mind putting something on?  He's there -- what, are you kidding me?  But Grandma Moses prevailed and he put on his shorts.  Within about 1/2 hour I felt shitting and Steve had to come in and sit with me cause I thought I was going to faint again -- so we were friends again anyway.  I was really tired from no sleep and all the driving.  Meanwhile, Steve and Bob have left and come back twice since then -- I don't' know how they do it.  Things have been pretty quiet since, but I do go to bed early now so I miss the late nite "activities".  My big thing this week has been getting something cooked and eating and cleaning up as an evening's activity, w/out falling over from the heat.  The noise level has been stupendous at night w/ Steve's stereo, Bob's (he bought a beautiful set), and Terry's radio (bought from Bob when he got his stereo!).  It's sort of like a liberated college dorm.  The amazing thing is that we can get along under the crowded conditions -- it could have been a different story w/ another set of people.  Oh, fun, fun.  I really fell quite at home there but would not consider it for a permanent residence.  I can't start looking for a possible apt. till I get a few paychecks of course.  I'm glad to hear you're settled.  Let me know how it works out.  Are the rest of the people there students?

Your rendition of the reunion was about what I would imagine, although you failed to mention your favorite couple and mine -- Mardi and Marti.  I imagine they were there.  Now that I'm away from it, I find it hard to really believe it really happened (and it still happening!).  Mardi really did get married, it's all "true" -- is it??  I'm glad I'm not there -- I don't want to be a witness to the settling in and the subsequent dissatisfaction.  I don't know why I'm talking about it so formally except I can't relate to it is why I guess.  Fuck it, it's just something I can't get a hold of!!  Well, I try not to worry or think about it, I've found lately that when I see people (friends) in a mess, or what I perceive to be a fucked up situation, I take it a little way and then I stop and it doesn't really concern me.  I don't know if I'm becoming more selfish or more realistic -- I don't know just thought I'd explain it to you -- maybe you know what I mean -- it's like witnessing but not really letting it get inside you. Ya know???

It's time to go home -- probably finish this tonite -- I think we're going to see "Harold and Maude" tonite -- but then w/ Rick you never know.

Continuing saga of the working girl -- Tuesday Sept 4.

Really meant to finish this this weekend but things got hectic.  Friday nite sat on the roof in a thunderstorm - just felt like it.  I mostly slept all evening -- I was dead.  Saturday Steve and I cleaned the bathroom -- couldn't stand it any more -- it took about 3 hours, pretty good since it has never been cleaned!  And finally I went to see Harold and Maude by myself but I enjoyed it immensely -- great music.  The question of the nite was -- Did they really do it??  Duh!

Sunday started the mad dash -- I went down to the Cape with Doreen and John to hear them play (Harry came too!) -- and we drove back to New Hampshire arriving at 4:00 in the morning.  (They keep this pace up every weekend -- I don't know how!)  Rick came up yesterday and we went swimming and ate and sat around and ate and smoked dope and ate -- got home about 1:30 last night. I don't know what I'm doing today -- everything is sort of passing me by -- maybe if I eat some of my granola I'll perk up.  It's another 90+ day -- when will this ever end?  I don't remember summer being like this here before.  Poor Harry -- stuck up on that 3rd floor all day in this heat!  I left the fan on for her and when I get home she'll get a BONE! and I'll throw her in the bathtub in cold water.

Well, I think I'll mail this!  I'm wishing you well on your new life in Pgh, Pa. -- hope your courses aren't too boring -- there much be something good -- let me know the developments.

Everyone says hi, Harry too!

No comments:

Post a Comment