Monday, July 23, 2012

July 27, 1973 (Letter from Leslie)



Hi sweetie.  Am sitting here in my room playing the stereo with Coryell's "Foreplay" turning on the upstairs of the house.  Right now I'm feeling good for lots of reasons.  1) This week I heard from you, Carol, and Roberta, 2) I pre-registered on Monday and turned in my loan application and the bank called today to check something with me so they have gotten it back from the school.  3) Pat and Linda are coming in tonight and we are all going to New York tomorrow to visit with John and Roberta.  I think this will be the only weekend I will be away, no other plans right now -- I eagerly await your visit.  More on that later.  4) My right bottom wisdom tooth became infected and has been hurting for the last week quite nicely.  Thurs I went to my grandmother's dentist and he said it has to come out but first the infection must be taken care of.  So I've been walking around with an herb poultice called Poloris in between my cheek and gum.  Last night I didn't sleep well despite smoking as a celebration to finishing my bed (next point) but after dinner the infection came to a head and I was able to get pus out of it so it is on the mend -- no more pain!!!  Yeah!  5) I've been working on a bed frame -- I built it all by myself with screws and bolts -- no nails.  I'm really proud of it.  Last night I painted it after putting the last touches on it (more supports at the bottom) and decided to smoke to celebrate.  Had a nice time re-reading your letter and looking at the Farmer's Almanac, boy what a riot!!  You have to look at it -- the advertising is great and all kinds of bits of information on all sorts of things.  6) Having my stereo again after having it out of the room for three days while I was working and moving things around.  7) My parents bought a Ford Torino Sport and we will pick it up Monday evening.  New cars are always fun.  It is a metallic beige with a darker vinyl roof and tan interior, black wall tires with white raised lettering and to top it off a reflectorized "laser stripe" running from one end to the other on both sides.

Close enough.


Monday 30:July -- Greetings!  As I was writing that last sentence, Pat and Linda arrived and although I had good intentions (the letter traveled with me) I did not get a chance to finish it until now.  I got your postcard -- so your car must be doing okay.  Very good and happy for you.

Had a fine time -- played Coryell and Get Off in Chicago for Pat and Linda -- they liked both. Talked and they went to bed.  They got up around 9 and ate breakfast and then I took them for a short ride around the area. We didn't leave for New York until 12:30 pm.  Made a stop in Peekskill to see their friend Settie, but she wasn't home.  So onto Youkers to John's.  We had to try out Pat's bong and the hash I brought and then it was dinnertime so we bought pizza and wedges. Proceeded from that point on to Manhattan to pick up Roberta and look off her terrace -- she lives on the 27th floor, what a trip!  Went to a coffee house to listen to John's friend -- was okay, sang lots of songs from Jacques Brel and back to Yonkers (Roberta came back with us).   Sunday was gorgeous so we went to the Palisades -- it was a hike to go where John's favorite spots were, but it was easy and very enjoyable.  I went out near the edge and then sat down or crawled on my stomach to look over the edge 500 ft. straight down.  It was beautiful, impressive, peaceful, and quiet.  A fine place to come just to sit and think, read, or maybe write a letter or in a journal.  I took pictures but don't know if they will catch the emotions.  Maybe you will be able to see it -- I would enjoy experiencing it with you.  Went back to Yonkers for dinner, took Roberta back home and then Pat, Linda, and I packed up and left.  Stopped in Peekskill and this time Settie was home.  We didn't 'get to my house until about 2am.  Pat and Linda didn't stay -- just had a cup of coffee and left.

I think I am going to Buffalo this coming weekend with my friend Marc -- he called after Pat and Linda had arrived.  He is going to U.B. Law School and wants to look for an apartment.  Aside from that again I say I should be home, so whenever you come it is okay with me.  I'm glad you have company going to Kenny's wedding -- I would have been glad to go with you -- I hop you enjoy the city.

Did I ever mention to you that the last song on the first side of "Offering" sounds much like Mahavishnu Orchestra?  At that time McLaughlin and Coryell were very close -- had the same guru -- they and their wives spent a lot of time together.  There is an article on Coryell in an old issue of Downbeat.  I have almost all of the issues from the time my subscription started so feel free to poke through them all.

I think I will end this for now.  Take care of yourself.  (Smile!)

No comments:

Post a Comment