Thursday, July 5, 2012

February 26, 1973 (Letter from Kenny)



Where do I begin?  How do you tall about a roommate who loved books, and Gleason's, and sleeping and me?  Alas, poor Nelson, I knew him, Horatio.

In any event, here I am.  I know I haven't written and I know you're probably pissed as hell, witnessed by the fact that you write Herb before me and your letters are un-Nelson like short; but please forgive me, I've lost all touch with reality.  How the fuck are you?  It sounds like  you really know what you're doing in wanting to go to grad school, but your exit from the West Coast was to say the least surprising.  I probably will be speaking with you shortly, within the week, so don't be too surprised to hear from me.  How is Tony?  I haven't heard from him at all and when you write him perhaps you could give him my address to write because he always was smarter than me an could study less.

To recap my life for the past 2-3 months is not too difficult.  I have been working and worrying myself to death.  I had finals from Jan 18-22 (3 of them) and for about 2 weeks before that I couldn't eat or sleep and lost about 10 lbs and ended up weighing 179, which for me is outrageous.  They were more than words can describe yet they showed me how stupid exams are because they don't test anything.  You get an hour on a question, which is just a bunch of facts and you're supposed to pick out the issues and write about them, so often you know the stuff but don't see it and it is presumed you never knew nit, it's really fucked up.  Anyhow, my Xmas vacation of 2 1/2 weeks was spent in the library preparing for them so I have nothing to report on that score.  After exams they were nice enough to give us 6 whole days off, so I went to Buffalo and saw Lauren.  It was terrific, I never realized how nice old UB would be until you go somewhere and break you hump only to return and see kids hanging out in Norton again. You had exited some weeks previous, I saw Maddy and I guess I didn't miss Tony by a whole lot either.  I saw Chris for the 1st time in 6-7 months and I'm glad to report that some things in the world will always remain as they are; although I must admit it was good seeing him and talking to him.  Now it's back to work and more of it because the next 2 weeks are to be the worst yet because I have some legal research paper to do.  Enough about that.

What are you plans for the coming months?  Will you be here over the summer?  Perhaps Herb and I will come to Warren sometime in June or so.  Herb by the way is doing fine, I don't see him often but talk to him quite a bit.  He's seeing some local girl and he's pretty happy and no longer a virgin.  (I hate to break it to you this way, big guy.)  I saw Eric a few weeks ago and he is just as young and ridiculous as ever, worrying about how his life was washed up at 20 because he hated his job.  I told him to quit (it had never occurred to him) and he did and now is somewhat happier at a new place.

How long were you in Calif before you decided to leave?  Did you ever get to New Orleans like you wanted to?  It's funny I was going to call you tonight (Sunday) but all of a sudden I realized that not only was it late (after 12) but that it was SUNDAY NIGHT and I didn't want the phone to disturb anyone!  Anyhow, I got very nostalgic while in Buffalo and realized how happy I was there and how few things I actually had to worry about, though at the time, it seemed insurmountable; so now my motto is "this too shall pass" and I keep saying it to myself constantly.  I haven't listened to the radio in ages so I know of no new songs and a couple weeks ago I went home for the weekend and saw "Heartbreak Kid" which was the first movie I had seen since August.  It was pretty good but got me depressed thinking about getting married, which should be quite a change to say the least.  Anyhow before I start rambling on, it is now 1:00 and I have to get up early tomorrow, so let me stop here and continue when I speak to you soon.  Write and let me know what night is best to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment