Tuesday, May 21, 2013

August 31, 1976 (Letter from Grayce)


N.B.  Prevention magazine says a few beers every once in a while are good for you.  Because they contain elements of nutrition that are no longer in modern man's food -- even most "health foods".

I am presently taking a break from the exciting job of UNPACKING!  (Oh, if only my fellow phil. majors could see me now!)  I was going to make a pun from "unpacking" which is the logical positivistic term for "getting down to basics" about a word's true meaning -- which might interest an old dictionary buff like yourself?  Actually, I have no idea of what I'm trying to convey here, myself, my surroundings are a total scramble & my mind is jarred b y them. Maybe I should start over.

You new stationary gave me quite a start -- it's the exact paper I used to get from Brook when we first met.  As you can tell, the stationary business hasn't come up with any brilliant ideas in 5 years!  What a farce, actually, Brook thought little of the paper, too (not me, I like it, but them, I have strange taste) so he went to his friend B.V.D. (Bill Venables, for short) who just happened to run a printing press at the time, and made some papers up 'specially for me -- quite romantic.  Our mailman used to geet quite a kick out of those letters.  Anyway, there were yellow & had a pretty sunset delicately printed on top (just in black) but I really liked them.  What reminded me of this is that for two days, Brook & I sorted our letters (writing every day for 2 years by 2 people equals quite a heap of letters!)  We got rid of some.  I was upset because so many of the ones I wrote said the same things -- what drivel!  Anyway, it was a nostalgic way to spend 2 days -- I do like your stationary, though -- very forceful!  (he-Tweet?)  Should I start again?

Our trip across was (thanks God!) uneventful in the car trouble sense, which we both were a bit worried about.)

Ohio to Indiana - very nice, too flat.

Iowa -- I never want to see corn again.

Nebraska -- ditto, but we stopped at a few Pioneer museums, and they were pretty interesting.

Wyoming -- I liked this place, unfortunately, we drove a lot of it in the dark and I didn't get many pictures.

Utah was my favorite.  I can't imagine this place being the way it is.  It's scary, in a way.  If we have another ice age, maybe the whole earth will look like Utah and when man (or whoever will evolve next; I hope somebody who deserves the earth more) appears, he'll never know about exotic flowers or hardwood trees?  It could change the furniture business!    (I'm sorry, I'm in such a giddy mood!)

We spent a week at Pocatello's finest -- Holiday Inn, which wasn't too bad.  We swam every possible minute & that nice.  Unfortunately, Brook got hut one day by scraping his nose on the bottom of the pool, also his forehead.  I still don't' understand how he did it -- the water he dived into was 10' deep -- but I think he scraped his nose in the 4' part, which appeared a bit too abruptly -- anyway, he's ok.  He was just shaken up a little.  I was afraid, though, when he came up, his face was full of blood.  After that, we were less energetic in the water.

It's so quiet here -- hardly ever a car goes by our house.  The population in this town is rising quickly though.  They expect 80,000 in 5-7 years (it's 48,000 now).  I am now gazing out our back door at 2 workers putting up a house across from us.  They're putting up the skeleton of the roof right now.  I'm surprised at how quickly it's being finished.

Brook is at his first day of classes.  I hope he's having a nice day.  One of the guys he knows who's already out here said the program is very tough.  (Brooks thinks he's very intelligent & didn't think he'd have any problems at all!)  I suppose my main function right now is to be here for Brook so he'll have all the support he needs.  I hope I don't take up too much of his time.  For now, I don't have to worry, because I'm up to my ears in things that need a place to stay, but after the house is settled, I will have to keep myself busty.  Maybe I can be a waitress at  the Mall?  There's an ice cream place -- I definitely have enough experience in that.

Is this letter boring?  I'm sorry -- it's awfully incoherent, too.  Brook has to catch a 6:00 AM bus out to the site each day, and I don't see him again til 6:00 PM.  He's been taking the car down & leaving it at the bus stop (2 1/2 miles away).  Later on, I'll drive him down & ave the car during the day.  I'm not sure I'm ready yet, though.  Brook's taken me out several times, but he's never let me go out alone.  It's pretty crowded here on the roads, it's surprisingly like Monroeville!  Eventually, though, I suppose I'll be driving all by myself!  (Frankly, I'm scared, but I suppose I'll survive!)

The transition from everythingness (maybe just somethingness) by which I mean the possibility of seeing certain people & doing certain things to nothingness (not in the sense really of NOTHING, but in the relative sense of less stimuli of certain types) is certain to be a major difference in my life.  I feel it may be for the best.  I need solitude right now.  I think maybe I'll be able to be alone more readily, also.  That is one thing that's very hard to me and which I must overcome.

I do hope you can make it out here.  You know, I'd love to have you.  Actually since you have such a short time, have you considered flying?  It's really not that expensive & if you consider that "time is money" it's cheap!  (I can always rationalize spending!)  Anyway, think about it?  (It's a natural for a Tweet, anyway!)

I'm so pleased about the yoga.  Actually, I didn't mention it "off the cuff".  I didn't want to seem like I wanted to "force" you to try it, but I did want to consciously make an effort.  I knew you'd be open to that suggestion.  That's one aspect of your personality I am very impressed with -- your openness to new ideas -- (maybe because I'm not always as open as I'd like myself to be?)  I've always felt that I could tell you any thing and it would be taken without undercurrents of "she's crazy" even if I was crazy.  I hope  I get to see you more often at some point in my life.  Oh well -- I guess I'd better get back to UNPACKING!  Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment