Wednesday, May 15, 2013

August 11, 1976 (Letter from Mardi)



Well, I don't know where to begin with this letter!  I can't believe you've been out there five months already!  Hope your job is doing you good things.  I imagine you're fairly settled in your apt. by now!  Being a permanent apt. dweller, you will find yourself doing a little of the "happy Homemaker" scene.

We have had an exceptionally shitty summer this year!  My summer consisted of two weeks in Minneapolis & Barb went out to the Cape.  I'm sorry I didn't get a postcard off to you but I never had a free moment.  Seeing everybody was great.  The weather was clear & sunny & my first full day was spent at Lake Harriet biking & just enjoying the whole place.  Bill is doing really well & he's extremely "mellow" now!  Visited TCF which now encompasses an entire city block.  Visited w/ Alma & had lunch w/ the kids at work.  Went to see Dutch & JoAnn, they are typical suburban people now, beautiful home w/ co-ordinated L.R., D.R., etc.  He's a good man, though. Just had a very relaxing time.  Everyone is so much more relaxed there.

My mother is no longer working at Cowdrick's!!!  Shall wonders never cease?  She quit after they took away a week's vacation form her.  She is now at NPC!!!  She had been thinking about it for some time.  She had no benefits at the drug store.

Marti also started a new job at Betts in the west end in their Purchasing Dept.  We're both happy he's there.  He's familiar w/ his new position because of his former employment there.  He works 8-5 with no week-ends -- VACATION.  He's been working w/ Jan Priest doing contracting work in the evenings!  Levinson Bros. was taking its toll on him!!!

Joan -- remember Joan? -- is now here in Warren.  Don't know if I can even begin to explain to you what she's doing because she doesn't know what she's doing!  Let's go back to when she left for Atlanta.  First of all, the daycare or camp for the children fell through & she's been struggling to make ends meet.  While there she & the guy who was to organize this camp became very close. She received her divorce from Freddie about 3 wks ago & got married to Mr. Bill Schwartz.  They came back here to Warren right after they were married because her parents were freaking out & didn't know what was going on!  Now they are happy -- Joan is married to a white man.  Anyway, everyone was surprised, especially Barb & I.  So they were here Sat, Sun & we all got together Mon. night @ my mother's to meet Bill, etc.  We visited & they were going back Tues.  We all said good-by & that was that!  Three days later my mother calls & says Joan is still here!  She stayed & Bill flew to Atlanta where he'll work till he gets "the truck"?  fixed & can get their clothes, etc. Meantime Joan is looking for a job here!  She hates Atlanta, & they want to settle up here.   She's really got me confused this time.  Common sense does not enter into Joan's mind at any time. She has really blown everyone's mind this time!  First of all, I never thought she'd get married again for awhile.  They both could have stayed here & gotten jobs -- why would one stay here & one go to Atlanta?  It's a waste of money & there is nothing that could be so important that they couldn't stay together!  Anyway I've not done any advice giving -- just listen.  Whatever they ant to do they will do!

Marti's parents were just here for two weeks -- actually good old Rachel has quited down some & she was quite bearable!  His sister & husband were here also but stayed in a motel.  Her new husband is not too outgoing & doesn't seem to fit in with regular folks --- his Maine upbringing has not helped him to socialize!!  Marti won't get any vacation time now so I doubt if we'll be making our annual trip to Maine.

Everyone is fine here.  Matthew will have his 2nd birthday next month -- amazing!  He is talking away now, he doesn't quite make sense though.  I'll have to start looking for an extra special gift for the big guy.  I'm behind in baby gifts!  Matt & Candi Voigt had a baby girl. Mike & Laurie Curren had a baby girl, Veryl & Betsy Brinkley had a little boy & Bill & Jodee Andrews are expecting & Jim & Linda Blackman!  It has been nothing but babies!!  I feel like an old pro at it!!

So how is the job going now?  Have you been working in various depts. yet?  Barb is presently unemployed & looking.  If I were her I'd go back to Boston soon.  She's been pretty tied up with this Rick West guy.  She apparently really likes him.  I've never met him but he's about 5-6 years younger.  Between her life & Patsy's it's a regular Peyton Place.  I doubt if I'd last more than one summer in Warren if I were single.  The guys are either too young & immature or too old, divorced w 3 kids & screwed up.  There is a definite scarcity of intellectual males 25-29.  Barb may be working a couple of days @ the Hoffman home on Conewango & waitress @ Paces a couple of nights.  She is suppose to be in Cambridge for a wedding the 22nd & thinks she has a ride.

Well, I'd better close & get some othings done -- it's off to the "Warren County Fair" tonight -- hve to let Matthew see the cows & horses etc. -- it should hold his attention for 1/2 an houro or so!

Take care, sorry about not writing sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment