Wednesday, May 8, 2013

July 30, 1976 (Letter from Renee)



SURPRISE -- I've outdone myself this time by answering your last letter the day after I received it. I love hearing from you and reading your letters but I often wonder how your hands can stand writing for so long.  I would never "hand write" letters cause I would get them half done and give up because my hand would hurt!  I hope you don't mind the typewritten letters, but if it weren't for the typewriter I'd never write anything on paper!

My summer so far has been super enjoyable.  I haven't done anything I didn't want to do , and I've spent a lot of time by myself just puttering and reading which I think has done me a world of good.  Being used to the school routine and schedule I am constantly asking myself "what do I do next," only to find out that I don't have to do a damn thing if I don't want too -  and that suits me fine.  Morrey says I'm a different person in the summer cause I'm not moody, bitchy, or depressed. In September I'll start my Jeckyll and Hyde routine again!  (Excuse my spelling -- I'm off duty as an English teacher!)  I've been doing a lot of macrame and have enjoyed it a lot.  I go to the health spa a couple of times a week to exercise, and it really is fun.  I also go to a weight watchers meeting (53 lbs. so far!) once a week which takes a couple of hours out of the day, and the rest of my life is total unstructured which I love.  I have never experienced a summer vacation that has been so free of hassel and worry and I don't find myself running around to the point where I'm exhausted.  Some of my school friends might think I'm kind of a hermit or recluse -- but for the first time in my life I have learned to enjoy the solitude and quiet of just staying home and doing my own thing.  I wish I could go on like this forever, but I know that eventually I would be looking for something which would bring more substance into my life.  Before this summer I used to have to have a lot of people around me and I enjoyed entertaining and having something planned to do every waking minute, but I guess I've matured somewhat (or learned to like my own company a lot better) cause I really enjoy doing nothing and not having a whole lot of people around me.

Morrey is extremely busy "carving a niche" in the business world, and I must say that he hasn't had it easy cause the sales market is really shitty at the moment and competition is at an all time high.  I have every confidence that he'll eventually do quite well, and until then I will work to help us survive.  I am seriously thinking of quitting my teaching job next year and looking for something to do with the skills I have -- but Morrey isn't very encouraging about my giving up teaching, and he doesn't like me to talk so much about quitting.  I will start seriously looking for something else next spring, and if I can get another job I'll do it.  I feel that my creativity at this point in my teaching career is getting stifled, and a lot of the people I work with frankly don't give a shit about the program or the kids -- they just want to get through the day and through another year of it.  I feel that I have a lot to give and I'm not using my talents to my fullest potential.  Since no one working around me is doing much to change and they're really getting set in their comfortable little domains, I feel that next spring is the time for me to strike out and look for something more challenging.

I am glad to hear that you are thinking about paying us a visit in Columbus someday in the future. We would be delighted to have you as our guest and promise to show you the interesting sights and sounds of Columbus.  There are always placed to go and things to do so anytime you decide to come, just give me a little advanced warning and we'll arrange a fun time for us all.

In answer to your question, YES, Morrey and I definitely plan to be in Warren over Labor Day weekend, barring any unforeseen emergencies.  We'll stay at the cottage, so feel free to give us a call and come out for some Shulman-Prayzer hospitality any chance you get.

It was nice to hear that your parents still ask about me -- I'm quite flattered and glad that their impression of me was a good one.  They have always been so nice to me when I've called them and I think you're pretty lucky to have such great folks.  My parents always ask about you and what you're up to these days and I fell them in as well.  To answer your mother's question, No, I'm not keeping up with my singing these days, but hope to eventually get back into it within the next year.  One of my goals has been to lose the weight and then try out for some parts in local players clubs or musical organizations.  I dearly miss not having music to be a vital part of my life, and unfortunately Morrey has no musical talents or interests.  However, he has bought us Symphony season tickets for next year which I know I'll enjoy and he'll endure!  Because of Morrey though, I have taken an interest in sports and we frequently go to Cincinnati for a Reds baseball game, or to the Coliseum in Cleveland for hockey games in the winter -- which I've learned to enjoy.  For a while the only thing I enjoyed about a sports event was the hot dogs and popcorn -- but I have managed to learn some of the finer points of the games -- and now I really like it.  As a matter of fact, Morrey and I are going to Cincinnati tonight to stay for the weekend and we have tickets for a ball game Sunday afternoon.   We've been to the cottage a lot this summer and Morrey adores the place.  I like it too but there is very little privacy there with my Dad around, and Morrey spends most of his time in the boat fishing, so I have to go prepared with something to do or I go out of my mind.  My dad just loves to have us come and he goes out of his way to please us and make us comfortable which we really appreciate.  Morrey and my dad get along better than my father does with his own two sons -- and Morrey and my father buddy around a lot which is good for both of them in many ways.

Many thanks for the suggested reading list.  I will take it with me on my next trip to the book store and library.  I greatly appreciate your taking the time to fill me in on quality literature available and I intend to take your suggestions seriously.

We have a busy month ahead and an expensive one too with buying back to school clothes and going to the dentist for a lot of expensive crown work for me.  We're throwing a surprise 65th birthday party for my dad on the 21st of Aug.  and I have to get busy and send out invitations and plan the menu and evening's events.  I'll probably start back to school work with my team members the last week in August so from now till them I have a lot of relaxing and enjoying to do.

I hope you'll plan on seeing us over Labor Day and I hope to hear from you much before that.

Please be well & take care & have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment