Wednesday, February 6, 2013

June 30, 1975 (Letter from Grayce)


You are probably still arm fro basking in the lovely California sun. I hope your return was not marred by any problems at work.

May be you should tell me about all your ALA adventures?  Did you see anyone there that yo knew?  How was the job market?  I just realized that I'm writing on this paper upside-down -- typical.

Next Monday, Linda wants to me "show her around" GSLIS.  It's the last thing I want to do, actually.  II don't feel like seeing anyone from there right now, but I suppose I must -- did you ever stop to consider how many things we do that we don't really want to do?  Not things we hate, but just little silly things that clutter up our existence?  For me it's phenomenal -- I haven't much direction, I suppose.  Sometimes I just feel that we are all a bunch of cells bumping into each other, anyway and I wonder why I even try to do anything.  It doesn't seem to matter much.   Do I sound in despair?  I guess I do -- I really am not, so maybe I should remove myself from this line of thought.  I just have a feeling that this next year will be a landmark.  Either it will be a dormant time before some big decision or it will be a very busy time in itself -- with lots of change.  I kind of hope it's the former because I don't think I have the strength or stability now for the latter.

In August, Mother Seton will be "canonized" and naturally Seton Hill will make a big deal out of this.  I have been "commissioned" to do a display of scenes from Seton's life for the library.  We found some old prints which were done in black and white drypoint.  I am to give them color and tone and make a display.  The only thing I'm really glad about is that I get to do all this at home, and do not have "the tyrant" peering over my shoulder at all times.  I can't believe I'm getting paid to do something I enjoy.  They're even supplying the pastels, fixative, etc.  I have until August 1 to do 33 prints. So far, I've done 8.

This past weekend was a very nice one.  It was the Rohr (Brook's mother) family reunion in Columbus, Ohio.  At first I was reluctant to go since I do not like "big" things where I have to cope with a lot of strangers at once.  But we figured we had better go.  Brook hadn't been there for 4 years and his mother was pressuring us.  So...  Anyway, Brook  and I were put up at his uncle's farm about 35 miles outside of Columbus so we had a really good time.   I had never been on a farm before and everyone was anxious to initiate the "city kid".  Brook's cousin Terry just assumed that I would want to milk a cow.  I was terrified.  I'm sure the poor cow wasn't exactly thrilled, either, but somehow, after much giggling by all the farmhands and cousins and Brook, I did it.  I also got to feed all the baby calves with these gigantic milk bottles.  Brook got to bale hay (which did wonders for his allergy.)  So I didn't envy him at all.

One neat thing -- being awakened by cows and sheep in the morning instead of an alarm clock does wonders.  Those farmers certainly work diligently.  They never go away and I really admire their endurance and discipline.

I think I don't have much to say this time.  I'll be going home on July 11th cause Ange's shower is on the 13th.  I think I'll fly.  I can't stand buses and I'm more afraid of trains than planes anymore -- with all the accidents that have been happening lately.  I may take the midnight flight since it's cheaper.  My father will just be so pleased to have to come pick me up at the airport at 1AM.

Please forgive this letter.

P.S.  It just occurred to me lately that you might live near a desert.  (Do you?)  I know you will think I'm a real pain but (please don't  think I'm crazy) if it's at all possible, could you send me some dried weeds of flowers or baby grassknots or anything like that.  I know you probably can't especially now without a car, but if you ever do come across any -- could you?

No comments:

Post a Comment