Friday, February 8, 2013

July 7, 1975 (Letter from Larry)


I recently received your letter.  I owe Barb a letter but I wanted to write to you in reply to your letter.

You didn't enclose the cartoon in the last letter.

Bruce, Mike, and I went to Allegheny State Park this weekend.  We met the girls from Buffalo. We always have a good time with them.  We went to see them in Buffalo about a month ago.

It's been hot, humid, and dry here.  We need some rain.

I'm glad to hear you're getting along good without your car.  I wish I didn't need my truck, but if I didn't have it I wouldn't be able to do yardwork and haul stuff for my garden.

I was surprised to hear that your stereo isn't the valued possession it once was.  It is nice to have when you live alone.

I would really have to make a drastic change to buy a TV.

The tone of your letter sounds like something from The Mother Earth News.  If you can get a hold of Mother Earth you should read the interview.  They're great.  Like Paul Ehrlich No. 28, John Shuttleworth no. 31 & 32.  Paul Ehrlich as a couple good books.  "The Population Bomb" and "The End of Affluence".  A book I think you'd really like to read i "The Great Frontier" by Walter Prescott Webb, copyrighted in 1951. I got it from the library but never had a chance to read it.

Your letter didn't sound too preachy.  I've felt that way for a long time.  Something has to be done about the fucked up way this world is run.  I think we're in for some hard times ahead.  The simpler we live in the future the easier it will be to make it if and when times get bad.  That' why I want to learn as much as I can about growing my own food.  To me that's one of the most important things in life.  We could have a good life if technology was used properly instead of abused.

It's Tuesday nite.  The only time I get to write is before I go to bed.

I think the reason the straight press doesn't write about the greed of the big corporations is because they are controlled by big money.

People are like sheep. They will follow anything.  People are afraid to change their ways, unless it b ecomes "in style".

There are times when I'd like to leave this country and go to Sweden.

We can't go on consuming at this rate.  There has to be a big change coming in the future.

I'm enclosing a letter from the Cousteau Society.  I think I'll join it, the money would be put to good use I'm sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment