Friday, February 15, 2013

July 31, 1975 (Letter from Grayce)

Pittsburgh Press, November 3, 1948

Back from fantasy-land!  I really feel very relaxed today, but I definitely miss the beach.  Now I'm looking sourly at several heaps of wash that must be done by this evening.  One thing I really hate is unpacking.  I've been know to not unpack for days & just use other things-- until my mother would be ready to kill me.  Maybe it's because I don't like to see things end that were good & then again, maybe it's because I'm extremely lazy -- probably the latter!  Speaking of lazy, I promised myself I'd hem curtains for the dining room, but there they sit, near the wash, reprimanding me with every word I wrote.  Maybe I'd better do some things about at least 1 basket to assuage my conscience and then return?

There -- I fell better already.  Towels are in and everything else is sorted.  Are you still patronizing the laundry for your shirts?  (For shame, if you are.)  Is there a laundry in Deer Lodge?  I'm sure there must be (and if so, Tweety has found it?)

I can't think of a nicer honor than being on your dedication page, although I cannot really claim to have donated any of the spirit you speak of.  I do feel that you are talented & can accomplish your goal but only with lots of discipline, which I'm sure you already recognize.  That seems to be the most difficult part of any talent we are given.  Potential is only a foggy breath on glass.  Oh well--

Speaking of "literary" pursuits -- I was at GSLIS (blasphemy) & saw Grant Lee (do you think his parents must have been Civil War buffs?) & he mentioned the index & then proceeded to not be able to find it!  But he says he thinks it can get published.  God only knows when though.  I didn't mention it -- he did.  So we shall see.  Unhappily, I missed Kate.  I did want to see her. . People there told me that she wasn't well again.  She is still teaching, which is probably not doing her any good, but, then again, I suppose when people are active, being inactive may be more of a harm.

Maybe we can visit her when you come for a visit?  By the ways -- have any plans gelled on that lately.  Oct?  When -- how long, etc.?  I'm only being pushy because I'm anxious!  And also because one of the purposes of my being is to plan!  (And make alternate plans, too, of course.) Brook refuses to listen to any plans whatsoever because he doesn't believe -- but we know what concentration can do, don't we? I suppose that if enough plans go awry anyone can lose faith, huh?  Maybe even me.

Almost time for the shirts to go in.  I'd better bring them down.  Be right back.  Luckily I made tonight's dinner ahead of time and froze it -- uh, modern conveniences.  My grandmother still will not use any of these, though.  She gets up at 5:30 each morning & attends 6:00 mass and comes home by 7:00 after chatting with friends.  It takes her about 2 hrs to prepare their main meal which they have at 1:00 after my grandfather comes in from scouring the junk stores on Passyunk Avenue where he is well-known.  *(He likes gadgets!)  Maybe their life is better, but I doubt that life will ever be that way in America unless we have a catastrophe of some sort that forces it upon us. Maybe I should go to Idaho, just to live a simple life for awhile.  I know I could do it here, but I would not really be forced to.

I don't have a really automated life, I suppose.  I usually walk when I have to go somewhere (within reason, anyway) and I never use convenience foods unless I absolutely have to.

When we were on Brook's uncle's farm, something that really struck me was the number of convenience foods his aunt used.  I thought they would use all fresh things &  bake their own bread, etc.  I suppose this was rather naive of me.  They really hardly have any time to themselves -- let alone time for making bread.  My mother does these things, but she doesn't work, so it's really a luxury to be able to do them, I guess.  Getting up at 4:00 a.m. to milk 30 cows precludes bread-baking -- a new rule?

While we were on vacation I saw a drop spindle in a little shop which will let me do some of my own wool spinning.  It was only $3 and although it's difficult to learn to use, it will be better than paying $200 for a spinning wheel.  Now, all I need is some sheep's wool - I wonder if the neighbors would mind if I kept a black sheep in the back yard?  I doubt that they'd be pleased.

Oh well -- I guess I'll never get to 25 or 30 pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment