Wednesday, November 28, 2012

February 3, 1975 (Letter from Renee)



Wow!  I can't believe you answered my letter so quickly.  Things must be pretty quiet out there in Montana.  Needless to say, I was very pleased to hear from you so soon.  I did promise you a "second installment" on my last letter, and, for a change (a big change) I'm sticking to my promises!

Last week I stayed home for 3 days with a really bad cold and practically drove myself crazy.  I read three books and a million magazines and I refused to turn on the TV cause I hate most of what is on during the daytime anyhow.  I read Plain Speaking, the oral biography of Harry Truman, which was interesting, informative, and fast reading.  I never really knew much about him and decided it was about time, so I picked up the book at the local book store, where I usually spend a fortune every week.  I also read Across Five Aprils which is an adolescent novel about the Civil War.  The only reason I read it is that I am currently teaching Huck Finn and thought that the background of Across Five Aprils might provide some interesting insights -- which it didn't cause I really thought the book was kind of dull.  My head might also have been somewhat clogged at the time -- so I really can't say for sure.  I started a third book which was a weird autobiography about the life of Lillian Hellman who is a famous author and playwright.  It was a bore -- so I kind of struck out.  Well, Mr. LIBRARIAN, now that I've wasted my money on all sorts of junky books, can you suggest anything that might be of interest to me in the literary line.  I respect your taste and judgement when it comes to books -- so in your next letter to me how about firing away a couple of your personal book reviews for me please?

I was supposed to go to my piano lesson tonight but half of Columbus must be down with the flu and my instructor cancelled -- thank God!  Instead, I did some much neglected housework, and am working on a huge stack of dirty laundry that is crying for attention.  This flu business is really at its peak around here and half our staff and students are out with it.  The weather is simply frustrating cause one day it's 60 and the next day it is 20.  They cut down the heat in our school building this week -- which really makes it kind of crisp in the classroom for all of us.  I'd rather have a cool classroom than a hot and drowsy one.

Morrey and I had a most enjoyable weekend this last weekend.  We didn't do anything we didn't want to do and we definitely didn't have any company -- which is really a pleasure for a change.  I guess we go in spurts where we're always entertaining, and then I kind of get tired of people and want to be left entirely alone for long periods of time.  Frankly, sometimes I get kind of tired of the same old people all the time, and I"m trying very hard to break away from the mold that Morrey and I have fallen into socially for the last 2 years.  We had an absolutely crazy fondue party last weekend and it took me 1 day to put everything together and 3 days to clean it up afterward.  For our evening's entertainment Morry and I borrowed a projector from school and showed old silent funny films.  We also showed a film on "Why Man Creates" which I've seen several times, and each time I get more and more out of it.  It was an interesting evening for us and our guests (I hope) but I'm done entertaining for at least another week (?) ha ha!

Last night Morrey and I had a super evening.  We went to a concert given by the pianist (humorist) Victor Borge and we laughed until the tears came!  It really was a fun type of evening for us, the only drawback what that we got home at 12 and I had to get up at 6am.  During the working week I'm usually in bed by 9 or 10, so that was really LATE for me.

I told Morrey tonight that come June 11th when school is out I am willing to hop in the car and head West with no pre-planning and no reservations.  I am really in the mood these days to break out of the routine of every day life.  I guess school is really getting to be a hassle for me lately cause there is very little change in the routine.  I really wish that for once in my life I could be a completely free spirit and do anything I want cause I'm so tired of responsibilities and routines and schedules, and always have to "plan" for things and to do "things".  I guess I'm just going through a stage these days, but I do feel kind of restless and tired of the "mold".  I know it is not unusual for people to feel the way I do -- but I'm getting itchy to do something new and different.  I guess I want my cake and ice cream too.  I really enjoy the security of a comfortable home, a happy marriage, and all the social trappings, but I kind of yearn to break out and do all the crazy things I've never done before.  Yuk -- none of what I said makes much sense now that I read it over-- but I guess I'm just thinking on paper.

Your last letter was the most unusual I have received to date.  You seemed to be in a most reflective mood -- and I must say in all honesty you didn't seem to be too chipper.  Are you happy Paul?

Do you get any kind of vacation this year?  If so, what are your plans?  If you decide to come East would you please seriously consider stopping here in Columbus for a visit with us?

Well, it happened again -- I just got all pooped out and tired and I've got to get back to my laundry duty.  I'll try to write again soon if you do too.  Be well and take care Paul.



No comments:

Post a Comment