Friday, November 23, 2012

January 23, 1975 (Letter from Renee)


Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles -- sing praises to the Lord -- Hallelujah!  Renee has finally decided to sit down and write to a very good, (provably pretty "pissed at me") friend.  I beg your forgiveness for my poor writing record -- I was pretty busy, and pretty lazy, and not always in the mood to sit down and write a long letter after a hard day at the "factory"!

Well, where do I begin?  I guess by telling you that Morrey and I are both fine and in relatively good spirits   Morrey had a big promotion, and now he is a salesman for the same company which means more money, and lots more work and headaches. He was given a 9 passenger, air-conditioned station wagon for his personal and business use, and an expense account and all the accoutrements (spelling is bad!), so life isn't too bad these days.  We sold one of our VW's and since Morrey is on company gas cards, the only bill we have for gas is about 10.00 per month for my VW which I drive back and forth to school every day.  I'm really proud of Morrey and his new position, and thank God there really is a good future for him as a salesman.  Who knows, maybe someday I can sit around the house on my big ass eating bon-bons and watching all the lovely (???) soap operas that would tear my heart out!  Just joking, of course.  Morrey is happy with his work and that's what counts cause it took him 6 years to get where he wanted to be.  Another neat thing about his job is that his time is his own and he doesn't have to report to anyone at the office.  It is convenient when we want to trek to Pa. early on a Friday afternoon cause now we can do it.   We'll never be millionaires, but at least in a couple of years I can think about quitting my job and doing "my thing".  "My thing" is that I'd sort of like to go back to get my master's degree, and take all the courses I really needed to take as an undergrad, but didn't.  We have no immediate plans for a family -- even though Morrey's Mom is harping the daylights out of us about giving her grandchildren.  I can stand the harping -- but probably couldn't stand the kids at this stage of the game.  I get all I want of kids 8-9 hours a day, and the only saving grace is that I can come home to peace and quiet and a few hours of sanity each night!  Wow, that was a long paragraph -- time to change to a different color!!

Last winter Morrey and I took bridge lessons -- but I didn't do too well with that cause I have very little card sense, and not much in the way of patience to play the game.  My new interest is the piano -- and I am taking piano lessons at O.S.U. one night a week from now till March.  Paul, you'll be the very first to receive an engraved invitation to my virtuoso appearance at Carnegie Hall (in Podunk, Iowa probably).  Seriously, I really do enjoy the lessons, and since I have a brand new piano with no one to play it, I figured that it would be a good idea to learn to play not just the right hand, but also the left!  I am at the point in my teaching career where the demands on my evening hours are very little, and I can't stand to get bored cause I sulk and get moody and depressed and all that crap.  Sometimes I yearn for the days when I was in high school and trying to do 50 things at once -- cause it sure kept me busy and probably full of the devil too!

Our new program called the house plan at school is working out beautifully and we're really working as a team.  We've seen a lot of things happen that couldn't have happened if each of us was closed off in our own classroom doing our own individual thing.  I've learned a lot about history and science and math this year-- and I've also learned a lot about what makes other "teachers tick" through working closely w/ them.  This is my fourth year teaching 8th grade, and frankly I'm a little bored with it since the materials in the curriculum is largely the same from year to year and things can get kind of stale after a while.  I really like my kids, and they don't give me any trouble -- but I'm either going through a stage, or I really need a change of pace.  Our school system failed its third levy which is bad, bad news, and we just got our gas allotment changed so that we now have to cut back 45% of our heat in the building.  Looks like it's going to be a long cold winter head -- and I think my next project after the piano had better be taking knitting lessons so I'll be warm in my room.

I had every intention of writing a six page letter but I just finished tutoring tonight and I'm getting kind of tired.  I'll try to get out a "second installment" to this letter next week.  I figure getting something in the mail is better than nothing, and if I waited much longer to write to you I would have to publish it in book form, chapter by chapter.

Until next week, when I promise to faithfully write again I will bid you adieu!  Write if you have a chance-- although I don't blame you at all if you hold out on me cause I was so poor in writing you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment