Monday, November 19, 2012

January 13, 1975 (Letter from Diane)


Looks like we left Pgh a little early -- we're missing all that celebrating, rioting and general mania not to mentions the joys of GSLIS.  Of course, if you can't be with the Super Bowl winners, the next bet group is the Stanley Cup winners.

I'm glad that you're enjoying your work.  Mine is coming along slowly but steadily.  Basically the library is a neglected pile of old books and reports with inadequate cataloging.  My first move was to pack nearly twenty boxes of books for discard.  I've also been ordering equipment and basic library resources such as BIP.  Space is a big problem -- I'm overcrowded before I begin.  And I wish people would quit asking me if I came out of the typing pool.  Next month I'm going to D.C. to the Office of the Chief Engineer for an orientation.  I'm looking forward to it since it will give me a chance to compare problems and ideas.  Actually, since I'm really starting from scratch, I'll take all the help I can get.  Last winter, when I was designing a library for Smith's Spec Lib course, I never dreamed that this test would become reality!  I never dreamed either that one of the married men would ask me out the first weekend I was here.  Myer!  ()No, I didn't!)

Where does the money go?  Good question.  There's rent (I love my apartment but it costs), taxes, phone, electric, food, transportation ( I take the train to work), etc.  It's very expensive to set up a household without showers and wedding gifts!  My poor sister found this out the hard way when she came for a week's visit.  She tried making roast beef and mashed potatoes without a browning pan, a roasting pan, a saucepan lid, a masher, a gravy boat or ladle.  Surprisingly enough, it turned out to be quite delicious -- but still improvised.  To buy these things would cost me $30-40.  It's even worse when shopping for furniture.  The sofabed I liked cost $549 -- on sale.  I think I'll have to compromise between taste and finances!  Or go bankrupt 3 mos. after starting work.

I can't believe you hate Christmas.  It's the only time when I find hope for mankind -- at least until I get into traffic.  My decoration are still up because I dread taking them down.  In order to give you the proper spirit next year, I'm sending a package on Sat.  No, I didn't get it at the after-Christmas sale but explanation will be enclosed.

Philly is terrific!  Bev and I went to the Brandywine River Museum to see the Wyeth paintings.  It's a fantastic place -- a renovated mill which suits the paints well.  After all, where else would you find Jamie Wyeth's Pig, Angus, and acrylic sheep.

If this letter sounds disjointed, it's because I've been watching Ford in the White House Library.  It's a nice place.

Take care and keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment