Tuesday, November 27, 2012

February 3, 1975 (Letter from Barb N)


Hello.  I just got your letter today and I thought I would write back to you.

Mary has been making some wall hangings that have turned out real nice.  She has found pieces of driftwood and varnished them, then she macrames with rope.  She takes a piece of driftwood about three feet long and as large round as she desires.  Then she puts a few coats of varnish for gloss and protection.  She buys regular rope (it has the texture of straw).  Her first wall-hanging was more bulky because she macramed without separating the rope whereas she separated the rope and made a smaller design on her second wall hanging   You would tie the rope in a cesure knot all the way across of each individual rope.  Then you start macramaing with a pattern you desire to use.  She adds beads or you can come up with almost any idea.  It's really simple to learn how to do and fast depending on how long you want your wallhanging.  You cold even dye the rope in different colors.  They would make a nice gift or you could sell them. I want to try to make a wallhanging but I have been busy knitting.  I should start sewing soon.    I have the materials but lack the ambition.

I put in a request (  ) for duty in Iceland.  I was going to wait until this summer to go to Iceland, but I want to see if I can get it in a few months.  I have talked to a few people who are and have been stationed in Iceland.  They really enjoy it there.  Harry (I met him here.  He is going to school but goes back to Iceland Thursday) has told me a lot about it there.  He is a really funny person.  So I'm sure he will show me around.  I want to go so bad!  I'm really excited about getting transferred there.  Maybe them I'll get a chance to go to Sweden.

The time in the Navy has gone by pretty fast.  I wouldn't want to get out of the Navy yet.  I figure once I get to Iceland and out I'll have a y ear and a half left and that will go real fast.  I'll be able to save a lot more money up in Iceland than in Norfolk.  It would be a good experience for me.

Don't have much more to say at t his moment.  Just thought I'd write and give you a suggestion of a hobby.


No comments:

Post a Comment