Monday, November 26, 2012

January 29, 1975 (Letter from Barb N)


Live version of title cut from the January 1975 release Sunday's Child

Hello.  I'm sitting here with nothing to do so I thought I'd drop you a line.  How is everything going for you?

The weather here has been beautiful for the past few days.  We are getting a warm front from up north so it will bring the temp down in the 50's.  (maybe even lower)  But the weather has been surprisingly nice for January.

If you start thinking about all the signs in the Bible about the end of the world you can detect them happening now.  It's something to think about.  It's quite a controversial subject without any answers.  Who is right?  Maybe God does exist...maybe he doesn't.  It's matter of faith.  I had a long talk with Larry at Christmas about his beliefs.  He felt better because he could express to me all of his thoughts   I don't know what to believe.  I'll have to form my faith through my experiences. God's plan was to give us hope of a better place than the evil world.  No matter how hard we try to improve the world the other side is  trying just as hard to corrupt it.

I like my job at the Master Chiefs office, but I just stuck my foot in my mouth.  I wanted to talk to my OS detailer so the Master Chief asked me if I wanted to change over to Yeoman and I told him no.  So now I might get transferred back to LP-1.  I really hope not.  I didn't care to work there.  I went to see my detailer and he was at another part of the base so I couldn't talk to him.  I want to transfer to Iceland this summer.

I have been talking to some people who have been to Iceland and they enjoyed it.  I would like to move around in the Navy.  That's one of the reasons why I joined.  I will be here in Norfolk a year this June and that is long enough for me.  At first I wanted to stay here this summer and go to Va. Beach a lot and just live it up.  I'd probably waste more money going to bars, etc. etc.  I'd be looking for something that wasn't there.  I also had made plans with a few friends to go more places, but I'm sure a lot of it is hot air.

31 Jan -- Hello again.  I'll finish your letter and I am going to start another letter to Dale.  I wrote him a long letter hoping to influence him in some way.  At this stage in life I believe Dale needs someone to guide him instead of hassle him.  Give him comfort instead of tell him he's a fool.  Dale still needs to discipline himself, but we shouldn't turn him off.  Dale is a good boy and a professing young man but he needs to snap out of it.I had a date last night for the first time in awhile.  John is a pretty nice guy.  We went out to dinner at a Ramada Inn and went to a club afterwards.  I don't care to go to fancy restaurants to eat.  I don't  like to put on an act just to eat dinner. Anyways...homecooked food is better.  But Norfolk probably has the worst selection of restaurants.

I started my knitting again.  I am knitting a lavender sweater.  It is a lacey pattern more or less a sweater for spring.  I almost have the back finished.  I bought some yarn for Larry and I am going to knit him a regular button style sweater. I want to make all my Xmas presents this year so I"ll start early.  (Really early if I expect to make something for everybody.)

I've been writing to Mom and Dad more regularly.  Mom wrote back a letter saying she appreciated hearing from me so regularly.

I haven't heard from you in awhile?  How do you like your yogurt maker?  I wanted to get you some sort of present for Xmas because money to me is so impersonal.  I didn't want  you to feel bad sitting out there in the middle of nowhere getting money from your sister for Xmas.

I should write a letter to Ed and Gen, and Edna.  I imagine they would enjoy hearing form me.

Well I'll end here for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment