Sunday, November 18, 2012

January 11, 1975 (Letter from Grayce)


I should warn you, that further insulting remarks about my "citie of brotherlie love", "my faire green countrie towne" (William Penn's own true words) will not be tolerated.  From this time onward, I would suggest that any observation (on this subject) you feel it necessary to make be approached with extreme trepidation.  (i.e. walk on eggs).  Hrmph, I guess I've told him!  The very idea!  (putting a gun to Diane's temple to elicit a favorable remark about a wonderful place!?! unheard of!)

Actually, I am trying to my myself into my most belligerent mood for writing another letter.  That letter will go to our friends, Quality Paperback Service.  (Remember them?)  Really, I have only meself to blame for this situation.  I should never have gotten myself into this because this is only just another of a long line of "club" battles that these weary "check-writing", "protest-writing", "don't' send me another book that I don't want or I will kill myself writing" hands have seen.

It all started (the pain in just recalling this may be unbearable!) about 2 months ago when I, in my deluded simplicity, thought that it would be a good idea to take up reading some existential psych. (Little knowing that I might need some therapy in a short time.)  I happened to see that QPBS had a 2 vol set of Rollo May -- so, ...I ordered it -- "in good faith", as Sartre would be sure to say.  Let me digress here, kind listener, to state another part of my case (maybe this will be counted against me?).  In a moment of crazed mental imbalance -- a moment of time in which even I will admit my lunacy -- I wrote to QPBS and actually told them that my address would no longer be at Pitt and gave them my new address.  (Foolhardy girl that I am.) I think that when they saw this, they themselves must have been convulsed with laughter and awe.  I mean, it was really a stupid thing to do !  I even told them my new name.  Anyway--

After several weeks of not receiving my beloved Rollo, I opened my door one day to find a package which contained -- no, not Rollo!) but Light on Yoga!  Now yoga is very nice, but it is not Rollo! Anyone can distinguish between the two, can they not?  Now -- having already opened the package and seeing Yoga I thought that it must be an omen of some kind.  Someone wanted me to have this book and eat up its contents.  So -- I dutifully wrote to QPBS and told them I received Yoga and how much did I owe and the next day I got a bill (obviously before they got my letter ) for Rollo ($5.60 which I had already sent them a check for!)  Weeks passed -- no word from QPBS -- I felt like K in The Castle.  Then, I got Legend in America! which I sent back with a nasty (but not nearly as nasty as this one will be!) letter.  Then I got something else which I didn't open cause they were not Rollo's size.  I just sent them back.  Then, last but not least, came Rollo -- last but waited for.  So I was relatively happy til I got my bank statement and they haven't cashed any of my checks (I haven't balanced my checkbook for about 4 months for which Brook was so happy!). A week ago I got a letter from them and a bill for 2 books besides the ones sent that I never heard of -- myeer!

(Paul says -- when does this end!?)  Now since I'm finished raving, but I think I'm somewhat talked out.  I'm tempted to send this letter to QPBS except they didn't say anything terrible about Philadelphia, as far as I know, anyway!  And then they might come and lock me up.  --Enough!  I'm not very good company today -- am I?  Maybe I can try again later...

12 January -- I have a new dilemma today.  I never did write QPBS.  I don't think it will help -- maybe if I ignore them, they'll go away.

I have been informed that contracts are signed in March at Seton Hill.  Mary (the cataloger who started in August when I did ) and I are not exactly delighted cause we are both committed til August by our former contracts.  I feel that this is unfair since if I wanted to leave I would still have to stay til August but I'd have to give them 5 months notice.  And I can't start really looking for another job now because I can't start working til at least the end of August.  I am feeling somewhat put out by this, especially since this is no great job.  I have really worked hard here.  I know she wants me to stay -- (certainly, where else can she get a "professional" who will work for 3/25 an hour!) - and has said it repeatedly, but I really am exhausted all the time, commuting from so far away.  I'm tired when I get there in the morning let alone when I have to work til 10 and don't get home usually till 11:30.  And the nun herself is so repressive.  She watches you constantly and nothing you do is ever the way she would have done it.  Mary wants to quit but she has six kids and is divorced and has moved to Greensburg and bought a house there for this job, so she thinks she'll stay another year.  Actually, sometimes I think she's the only reason I stay.  We have fun and she's got a really odd sense of humor.  Sister wanted us to help her on this "project" (she's always dreaming up projects which she hasn't the time or the staff or the money for.)  So we were supposed to cut out pieces of plastic to put over certain index entries to emphasize things like see ref, etc.  (Remember them?)  Do you know she wouldn't even let us touch the plastic.  She had to cut it herself and she practically tore Mary's head off for cutting one piece when she (Sr) went to lunch and there wasn't any left.  She's just so petty and I could never stand that.  She's always after me to turn lights off.  I swear the students will go blind because of her.  Oh, here I go again, ranting.  I'm sorry please forgive me.  I'll stop now.

I heard from Bill Louden and he really likes his job at Heidelburg College (cataloging).  Bill Snyder wrote also and will be in Pgh to sign up for the army.  I can't believe he's really going.  It seemed liked so long ago he first said he would.  I guess I'd better get going.  Well, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment