Sunday, November 4, 2012

November 12, 1974 (Letter from Barb N)


Hello!  I received your letter today so I will answer your letter right away.

Yes, my opinion of the Navy itself has definitely soured in the past five months at Norfolk.   At the moment I work in cleaning which is a "skate" job.  I want to find a job that is more challenging, but I don't know which way to turn. First of all, I'm on OS (radarman), and it's a critical rating without a BIG fight.  Next, I am not able to work in my rate because females are not allowed to be ported on combat ships.  So my hands are tied at the moment.  I don't want to get involved with any such work that directly involved maintenance (etc) of air craft which is what the Naval Air Station is concerned with.  ( really dont' know what I can get involved with that I would enjoy.  I have to make some sort of decision in the next month or so I'll have to put a lot of thought into what I should do.

I'm meeting a lot of new people.  The guys I have dated can go hang themselves somewhere for all I care.  I haven't met anyone who impresses me in the slightest way.  This girl I met in chow today, Sue.  She and I made some plans to go to some of the naval clubs this weekend.  She's looking to have a good time like I am.

I haven't sold my car yet.  I don't know if I will right away.  I might wait a little bit longer.  I don't want to rely on others for transportation everywhere.  I'll have to get on a budget like Larry and account for what I spend.

It would be fantastic if we could get some property up in New England.  We'd be near the ocean, near Boston and New York, near the hills, etc.  I can't see visiting Mom and Dad on holidays only. I love them too much just to see them once in awhile.  Like Mom wrote to me in a letter.  She said that she feels we have a relationship as friends besides mother and daughter.  I know she has ha lot she could still teach me, especially her cooking and sewing.

Did you see Dale's senior picture?  Doesn't he look good?  He has a good head on his shoulders. He was in the rebellious stage last year, but he has settled down quite a bit.  He skipped school once this year but he told Mom which was good.

I heard from Mom and Dad and they're having a nice time in Washington.  They are on the run visiting friends and meeting people.  I'm glad they got to go and everything went all right for them. It probably brings back a lot of good memories.

It's raining out at the moment.  I should start walking a lot more now.  I walked back to the barracks in the rain and it was enjoyable to feel the somewhat fresh rain upon my face.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well with your writing.  I would enjoy writing, but at this moment I don't have all my thoughts together.  I need more time and experience.

Carla is getting married to Frank this Saturday, but I won't be able to attend her wedding.  I was going to try to make it down, but I'll visit her some other time.  She told me that Frank and her were going to take a honeymoon later on if I came down.  She wanted me to stay overnite with them.  I'm probably one of her closest friends and I'm going to keep it that way as long as I can.  I will not be such a fool as to consider staying with them on their honeymoon.  Otherwise they will take a suite somewhere in Atlanta for the weekend.  Frank just got a job in Atlanta and he doesn't want to chance it by taking a vacation so soon.

Max is enjoying herself in Korea.  She works in Pediatrics.  I guess she does the basic procedures.  The people are all in the fields because it is harvest time.  Max said all the people walk hand in hand to show their love for each other.  She lives in a barracks with 50 other girls, but she has her own room. For $34.00 a month, she can have a mama (Korean woman) do all her cleaning, washing, etc.  It must be nice to have a maid. 

I am going to chow now so I'll close here.  I am better in my mind now and I feel that my mind is functioning a lot better.  I hope you are well.

No comments:

Post a Comment