Saturday, March 2, 2013

November 5, 1975 (Letter from Connie)


Uh, well, you see, it's like this -- I'm not in Montana anymore.  Got back there in September, gave my notice, packed my bags, and split.  I was scared -- I had no idea what I was getting into -- but it turned out to be really terrific -- about the smartest thing I've ever done!

I don't know if I told you about it in Seattle, although I didn't know much about it then.  Anyway, here I am in Cheyenne, setting up a library for the Department of Economic Planning and Development.  So far, I am back in my cubbyhole cataloging all day long -- and loving it!  It's all technical reports and government documents, just the kind of stuff I really like to work with.  I tell ya, this special library bit is really terrific.  Would you believe this is the first time I've not worked in a library per se, and that really is one of hte best things about it.  I'm the only librarian in sight, I don't get flack from anyone -- just pure cooperation and a lot of good vibes.  I'm totally my own boss, at least I made (essentially) all the decision about the library.  And when I need policy decisions I get them -- quick, clear, consistent, and livable.  The contract with the state library is really unbelievable   I've been here 3 weeks but it seems like I've always been here, and that' whole thing back in Helena just a bad dream.

It wasn't all bad -- I made some good friends there, and it was hard to leave them.  (But good news -- Lynne is driving down this weekend.  We're going to goof around in Denver.)  And then I miss my gorgeous apartment.  I'm in a one-bedroom basement -- yech -- small and gloomy.  But it's decent, unlike others I've seen here, and cheap.  And at least I have someplace to stay while I'm looking for the "dream place".

But on the other hand, I shouldn't be too anxious to move -- I really don't know how long I'll be there.  I'm here on a WICHE internship, and only have 3 months I'm sure of.  I might be extended for another 3 months, and they make noises about wanting a full-time librarian (and I make noises about wanting the job) but no promises as yet.  So I might be back in Seattle in January or I might be here forever.  And of course, as an intern, I'm not paid much, but I'm enjoying it so I don't care. I really thrive on independence -- and that's what I have here.  My boss is a doll, and there are such good vibes (a.k.a. "high morale") here.

Back in Montana I really wondered if I'd ever enjoy working again, if the lib. business was all a big mistake.  Well, Montana was the mistake -- 

As for Montana State Library news -- Dick is leaving at Thanksgiving as you know.  But did you know that LaVern has gone on leave!  From Oct 15 to Jan 1 (irony of ironies -- this was announced after I'd gotten the WICHE offer).  But decided to leave anyway.  No one knows for sure if she will be back.  And then that whole scene was so tense -- so LaVern or no I split.

Lynne is in charge of general services now and doing beautifully of course.

You mentioned the bad weather in Montana -- Montana maybe, but not here -- it's been gorgeous!

And then I finally am able to get channel Z from Denver (and most of the Denver stations).  I've seen a lot of dogs -- but also the fist two Johnny Weissmuller Tarzans.
Cheyenne is really all right -- a nice enough town, friendly people, and close to Denver and Ft. Collins -- what more could you ask?  Well, sail boats, and sea gulls, mist and fog and all that soft greenness -- well, I'm going back there at Christmas, and I rather think I'll live there again some day.  But hopefully not right away.  I like being away.

Well, that's about it -- life goes on, and for me, for now, marvelously.

Take care, keep in touch -- Something will turn up for you, relax till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment