Friday, March 29, 2013

May 13, 1976 (Letter from Grayce)



Are you absolutely sure that you'd like to do something as rash as having me promise not t0 worry about boring you in my letters?  I mean, are you positive?  Maybe you'd like time to reconsider? (heh, heh)

Actually, I'm not bored by your letters because I'm very interested in you & what you are doing.  I don't suppose we'll ever know each other so completely that we'll be bored...(because I believe that every single person is so complex as never to be fully known by another.)  It's probably much better that way - -I'm not sure that delving into another person's depths is such a good idea -- especially since I'll never get to the bottom of my own. (Doris Lessing seems to have done this -- or so it seems in her Children of Violence series where the main character, Martha Quest, is herself.)  While I'm on the subject of Doris Lessing -- does she interest you at all?  I've recommended her to a friend of mine, an actress, & she says that she's gotten a lot from her.  I would like to have a masculine viewpoint.  We have been exposed to so few GOOD women writers, you know?  & Lessing is one of the most insightful (maybe the most insightful) that I've come across.  I'd just like to know if I like her because she' good & insightful, or because I identify with that she puts forth.  Would you mind very much if I asked you to read some of her?  The Children of Violence is a 5-book series -- maybe you don't want to start with that?  The Golden Notebook is not her best in terms of style, but is very interesting & gives an idea of what she thinks.

This would mean a lot to me -- I mean, you're letting me know your opinion.  If you don't want to, though, don't worry.  (This is the last letter you will be receiving...) (only kidding) (chuckle, chuckle)

I told Sister M. Ronald that we were probably going to be going to Idaho for the fall.  She took it pretty well.  She probably can't wait -- so that she can get someone sufficiently dedicated to Seton Hill's futile causes of educating the thick wits who seem to be there in such abundance!  You wouldn't believe the no. of students there that don't even know what a card catalog is?  It would be funny if I still had a sense of the comic about the place -- now it just seems so sorry to me.  At any rate, my last day will be either June 25th or 30th -- whichever day it is will be a day for great celebration & joy!  I'm not going to even ask her for a letter, because even when she likes a person, she still puts in something negative "just to be honest", you know!  She really is a character.  I can say one thing about the place though.  I've learned a lot (through seeing what NOT to do.)  Also, being in the position I was in, I had to do almost everything -- except catalog.  I was in charge of reference, circulation, reserves, inter-library loan & innumerable other smaller things, such as the pamphlet file (which I started myself & it now has about 500 items to it).  Say, this sounds pretty good -- wanna hire me?  Enough on this.

I have enclosed a copy (rough, I admit) of a new Phila logo which I found rather amusing.  It's done by the Girard Bank in Phila & they have t-shirts with this printed on.  I have told Diane that if she does not get me one it will be curtains for her!! It's red, white & blue, but I didn't have a blue flair so I had to make do.

We still don't know about Idaho -- I'm on the edge of my seat about it.  I really wish they'd tell us soon. It's not as if it will take me 3 days to pack -- also it takes time to sell a house!  This is just typical of the way Westinghouse does things -- so I shouldn't be surprized.

One reason for not wanting to leave the library has just occurred to me.  My supply of amusing pictures will be cut off!  (I usually get them fro advertisements for new child. lit stuff.)  I try to find Ionesco things, or Sendak or Wildsmith because I think they are really fine artists.  Ionesco's are also so sur-real.  I have one which I just can't part with -- a family looking over their couch at a languid mermaid & another which is good -- a cow family with the mother serving a dressed human head at her table.  In the background in the kitchen is a chart showing parts of human anatomy such as you often see in butcher shops (of beef).  We never had such striking illustrations that I can remember.   Did we?

Oh well -- will you mind my using regular paper usually?  Unless I come up with a new source.

We may be going rafting on May 23rd . (Brook's birthday.)  Bill Grush, a friend of Brook's at work says he knows all about whitewater.  Frankly, I'm scared!!!  Bill will work the raft, Brook will help, Bill's wife will be calm (because she is always so calm) & I will probably be dashed on the rocks.  I can't be chicken now, though, 'cause I already agreed to go.  Myeer!!  Ange & John ant to go too -- in June, & we'll probably go -- if I survive this time.  We'll be on the Youghiogheny River.


Hey!  I miss you!  When are you going to visit us?  I know you can't  I just thought I might ask anyhow!!

Send me a picture of you in your new glasses?

Don't you want to see how our house looks now?  (I never actually do give up -- it's the Taurus in me!) Is you sister a pest like I am?

Speaking of your sister -- I am not exactly sure about this miracle business, but it seems as though I've heard it before somewhere.  I will see my grandmother on June 6 & I will definitely ask her if you'd like.  She was born in Naples, but she left when she was very small.  I'm sure she would know about this though, if it's valid.

In the meantime, I wouldn't worry too much, ok?  It's probably not as scary as it sounds.

Well, I guess I'll try & get this in the mail now.  I don't want to you to be disappointed in me for not writing right away.  I will try to be good from now on!

P.S.  Do you get Mary Hartman there. Louise Lasser is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment