Monday, March 18, 2013

May 4, 1976 (Letter from Connie)


So good to hear from you.  I tell you, I looked at that letter and thought, Springfield, Mass - ? What is Paul doing in Springfield, Mass?  Well, it seems you're doing very well indeed.  I couldn't be more pleased!  And close to Boston and New York -- I could choke you.  Denver is close and Denver is OK.  But it's not Vancouver or San Francisco or Seattle or Boston.  Grumble.

And I really know what you mean about having your own place again.  I get along well with my mom -- but not constantly.  She came out for a week in March and it was really good to see her and gab for just hours without having to worry about Ma Bell.  But evenso -- and as much as I like her there were times when I was tense with her around all the time.  Guess I've been out too long to go back to living with Mom.  It was nice though -- she cooked me dinner and even did the dishes!

Went to the Wyoming Library Association convention.  I'm in to going to those things - -but it was a drag.  Going to the Special Libraries thing in Denver in June -- should be good.  Looking forward to that.  Oh -- and you're a "special librarian" now too!  I tell you, it's the only way to go.  SLA is a good group -- miles above ALA or any of the local groups.  You might look into it.

We finally got moved into our new building.  Would you believe I have like 200 boxes of books and no shelves.  I'm literally buried in boxes -- some stacked 8 boxes high.  Theoretically our shelves should be ready tomorrow (or the day after, or the day after that, or...)  Someday soon.  Or so we're told.

Finally got around to going to the doc and found out that I almost have an ulcer.  Out of pure vindictiveness I'd like to think it's all LaVern's fault.  But I have a sneaking suspicion that it comes from all my Wyoming partying -- not the booze, but the 7Up I mix with it.  Gonna have to get used to Bourbon and water.  Better for the health!

I tell you, this has been a terrific day.  Been toying with the idea of buzzing off to Europe.  (I know I've bored you with that before.)  But lately I've been getting cold feet, should I, shouldn't I, do I really want to go?   Anyway, Saturday I went to a travel agent and found out I could go by charter from Denver to Frankfurt for $399 round trip!  I couldn't believe it!  That's half the regular fare.  So today I ran over, plunked down my money and got all confirmed and everything.  And I leave July 6. Unfortunately I'll be here for the 4th.  Had dreams of spending the 4th out of the country -- say drinking a toast to the good ol' U.S. of A. from the  Champs Elysee.  Could not be.  Going with my friend Anke from Seattle -- she's German and speaks German (of course) and French.  Had hoped to go with Ginny Shoens (remember the Sunday morning waffles), but that's an on again off again thing.

I've really got this thing about planes it seems.  Flying off to Seattle for Memorial Day weekend.

Heard from Lynne Stevenson.  All at MSL is the usual shambles.  Lynne's resigned -- either to go back to school (in Sacramento) or to take the biomed job at Carroll College.  Whichever comes through.  Basically just sad stories from there.  So glad I got out when I did.

And all goes on the usually same sameness have.  Cheyenne's ok -- and you just wouldn't believe how happy I am with my job.  Especially now that I almost have shelves.

Take care, and keep in touch --

No comments:

Post a Comment