Sunday, March 17, 2013

May 1, 1976 (Letter from Debbie)

17 W. Pleasant
River Rouge, Michigan

What a pleasant surprise!  You're right I had given you up for lost.  I'd heard about what happened in Deer Lodge and that you'd left town, but nobody knew where you were.  I never expected to hear from you again.  It was a lovely surprise.

I'm glad to hear everything has turned out so well for you.  It's wonderful to hear you're so happy. Is Springfield a large city?  Somehow I just can't see you happy in a small town.

Well, my year here has been full.  I've done so much.  A lot of moving too.  My girlfriend talked me into leaving my townhouse and moving in with her.   Then I couldn't stand the total lack of privacy. I don't like to be alone all the time, but I need some time to myself.    She was worse than a mother.  She wanted to know what time I'd be home from my dates & where I was going & what I was doing.  I couldn't take it so here I am in a duplex in River Rouge.  I lived with a guy for several months, but that didn't work; and I've almost decided that men are a hopeless cause.  I've joined a club that has seriously done wonders for me.  It's Parents without Partners.  It's made me a person again.

I've met a lot of wonderful people there and have made a few real friends.  For the first time since I was married I'm a person in my own right.  I feel good about myself.

On May 10th I'm starting school.  I'm going to a secretarial school a few miles from here.  It's only for a few months, sort of a brush-up course. I secretarial job is basically a 9 to 5 job, and Jody is in school until 4 and I"ll put Jeremy in a nursery school .  I think it's just what we all need.

You wouldn't even recognize the kids.  They have done so much growing and changing.  They have done wonders for Jody.  They tell me he's not retarded.  He has brain damage and they are teaching him to use other parts of the brain to function for the damaged part.  He communicates much better now.  He's just a different little boy.  As for Jeremy, talk about communication!  I don't think there is anything he can't say.  He's smart as a whip!

I sure wish you could have come to see me. Maybe this summer.  I'd sure like to see you.  Who knows, maybe I'll get over that way someday.

Oh, by the way, where did you get my Trenton address?  I'm sure I didn't write to you after I moved. What made you think about me after all this time?  You know, I even tried to call you several months ago.  Needless to say I couldn't get a hold of you.  Don't wait so long to write next time.

After I heard about what happened in Montana I was worried about you.  NO one could tell  me what happened with the whole thing just that you were being charged.  I couldn't imagine you taking a gun into the prison.  I'm glad to hear it's all straightened out.  I'm sure it's an experience you'd just as soon forget.

Take care and stay away from prisons.  Write soon.  Hugs & Kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment