Tuesday, May 22, 2012

June 26, 1972 (Letter from Renee)



It seems hard to believe that almost a year has passed since I last heard from you or spoke to you.  I was so very pleased to receive the letter from you this week.  I have often wondered just exactly what you've been up to and I'm also very glad to know that you think enough of me to keep up correspondence -- even though we both have been pretty lax.  I always enjoy your letters and it is a really nice feeling to know that at least one of my hometown friends still wants to keep in touch with me.

I really don't know where to begin to tell you about my life since the last time we talked with one another.  A lot happens in a year.  I may as well start at the beginning -- so here it is!

After I graduated from OSU last year I looked for a job almost the entire summer.  I had decided that teaching was really not for me and I didn't really care to pursue a teaching career.  I guess I had just had it up to my ears with school and I thought it would be nice to come home at 5 o'clock without any worries.  Well, I took a job as a secretary with a big savings and loan company here in Columbus in the downtown office.  What a fateful mistake that was!  I absolutely abhorred my job, couldn't stand my idiot of a boss, didn't feel any sort of satisfaction in what I was doing -- and in general was a lousy secretary.  I worked in the savings and loan from August to November and then I said so long and goodby to the world of business.  At that point I felt like a failure already since I wasn't too successful on my first job venture.  I guess my main problem was that I felt no satisfaction in the job I was doing and really felt like I was helping achieve a big zero.  At any rate, at that point I decided the only way to find out if I really had any knack for teaching was to apply for a job.  It wasn't too easy looking for a full time teaching job in the middle of the year but I plodded along sending applications everywhere in Columbus.  I really struck it lucky though cause I got a position in the wealthiest suburbs of Columbus called Upper Arlington teaching 5 classes of 8th grade English full time.  The teacher I replaced got pregnant and I happened to be in the right place at the right time looking for a job.  Needless to say the pay was super GREAT compared to working as a secretary -- but pay wasn't all that I was really looking for.  It was a difficult task to take over classes during midyear but I survived and I'm still wondering how.  I really do like the school that I teach at.  It is relatively new, the faculty is extremely conscientious and talented, and the materials available and general environment make it quite pleasant to say the least.  I had my moments as a beginning teacher when I thought I would lose my sanity or lose my job -- and the kids weren't terribly cooperative.  They wanted to play games to see how much they could get away with -- but I suppose I've weathered that storm too.  I am not terribly pleased with the quality of my teaching work this year but I am looking forward to going back and starting fresh in the fall.  I guess I've kind of learned all the little do's and don'ts that go along with disciplining and behavioral problems.  Once a teacher has thorough knowledge of her subject matter (which I didn't) then she has half the battle licked.  Between not feeling terribly secure with the subject matter and never having to discipline anyone before, I sure had quite a time of it -- but I had lots of encouragement along the way from other teachers and mostly from my husband.

At any rate Upper Arlington liked me enough to renew my contract for next year and I got a $250 pay raise to boot so I'm not complaining.

I am doing absolutely nothing this summer except being a housewife -- fooling around, reading a lot, cleaning, cooking, swimming and just plain being me.  I made some grandiose plans for all that I was going to accomplish this summer but so far I haven't done much in the way of carrying them out.

Morrey and I are still living in the same apartment on Shanley Drive -- we've finally gotten our apartment to look the way we want it to and to suit out comforts to a T.  Needless to say I am still very happily married and fell very secure and quite content with life as it is right now.  For the first time since we've been married (which is two years) Morrey and I are enjoying freedom from financial worries -- we're not millionaires but our bills are finally all paid and  we have a little to spare for the things we want.  I would like to go back to school  I really wanted a rest from any kind of mental work and Morrey makes few demands upon me and gives me complete freedom to do what I want when I want.  We really do have an ideal marriage-- and we sure do know a lot of screwed up people -- so we're glad to have each other.  It is really unique but my husband really is my best friend and confidant and there is no one else in the world whom I enjoy being with more than he.  I suppose perhaps that this might all seem rather corny to you -- but we re very happy, comfortable, and secure. I guess one might say we've found our "niche" in life.

In your letter you referred to feeling old -- well my friend, would you believe that my high school class reunion is the 19th of August!  I really do know that I am finally a member of the next generation when I got the invitation to my reunion.  Morrey and I are planning on going -- although I am willing to bet that it will be a boring evening for him and a disappointing one for me.  I really never was very close to any of my high school classmates -- but curiosity killed the cat and I am anxious to see them and hear about what they are doing with their lives.

I was glad to hear that Barb was successful in Boston and really making a go of it.  I feel very badly about her mother's illness and wish that there were something I could do.  As for Mardi -- I probably never will see her again and she has sort of drifted in her own chosen direction.  It is a shame that her life is kind of a mess right now and I wish the best for her.  As for Mike -- the last time I saw him he was too much for me and I'm not really ever impressed by collegiate name droppers -- they are amusing but not very intellectually stimulating to say the least.  Mike seems like one of those late bloomers who will finally grow up when he's about 35.  I saw Mark Van Volkinburg last fall before he got married.  We were supposed to go to his wedding but it was too long of  trip and we didn't have much money for such trips at that time.  He's kind of had a rough go of it in the last 2 years from what he told me but I still like him a lot and he has some very fine and sensitive qualities that make him a nice person to know.  I had met his wife (she came to our wedding with him) and she was a real doll so I hope that they are making it together.  I am wondering whatever happened to Joan Piccirillo and I hope that maybe you can fill me in on some of the details.

I was disappointed that you didn't make it to Columbus last summer and I hope that perhaps on your way back from California you can come here and stay with us for awhile.  We have plenty of room and you are always welcome.  I would be delighted to have you as our guest and I hope that you can arrange to come out here whenever you have a chance.  Just drop me a line or give me a call to let me know when you are coming.

Well Paul, I can't really think of much more to tell you that I haven't said already.  I hope that we can continue to write to each other.  Morrey and I plan to be in Columbus for quite awhile and we will still be at the same address so please try to keep in touch.






No comments:

Post a Comment