Tuesday, May 29, 2012

July 13, 1972 (Letter from Kenny)



I just got to work this morning and I wanted to tell you all about the excitement in my life for the past few weeks.  Right now I'm very pissed off because I'm drenched and the last thing i"m in the mood to do is start working.  Oh well if I don't think about it maybe it will go away (I'm glad I can face adversity now that I'm a college graduate.)

First off I got your letter about 2 weeks ago and have read and re-read it several times.  I really think you've found some sort of inner happiness and I'm really glad.  The book obviously affected you deeply and undoubtedly will be a very important factor in your life in the years ahead.  I was about to read Look Homeward Angel when I got your letter but instead decided on You Can't Go Home Again.  I went to 6 bookstores including three of the biggest in the city and everyone was out of it.  I think you started something.  Finally I got a copy but haven't read very much because it is deep and I spend more time underlining and thinking than I do reading.

I haven't been doing an awful lot but Lauren is coming home tomorrow night so things will definitely get better.  I'm really looking forward to seeing her.  I get a letter every day but I definitely have missed her.  The only positive aspect of her going away has been that I have had a lot of time to call people form Wantagh and spent some time with Mindy (the girl Lauren went with) boyfriend but he left for the camp the beginning of July.  I've seen Bob Marks (Lloyd's roommates) and last Saturday we saw the Mets play the Dodgers, one of the few games the Mets have won recently.  Herb was in town this past weekend and I saw him for awhile.  He is not too pleased about his social life but likes his job a lot.  I also saw Chris for the first time since school ended.  It was not very enlightening but I figured I'd go see him.  He is upset about him and Judy (I'm sure that's improper grammar but you're the English major).  From what Linda Glickman told Herb who told me he's got a lot to worry about.  Chris doesn't know and as much as I realize I should tell him I can't bring myself to because it would crush him.  He thinks Judy is contemplating going to bed with some guy but she's actually been balling a goodly number of people and is hanging around bars looking for it.  It's a shame she had to start now after school's ended, just kidding of course.  Meanwhile I haven't gotten stoned since I'm home I think I'm witnessing withdrawals.  My hands shake a lot and my eyes turn red for no apparent reason.  A kid that works here sells quite a bit but he's been on vacation for awhile.  Now that I think of it I have smoked with him several times during lunch hour, I guess I'm not going into withdrawal after all.  I wrote another letter to Tony, my first one I mailed to 60 LeBrun instead of 75 and I doubt that he got it.  The Stones are going to be here the 24th, 25th, and 26th and to get tickets you had to send in a postcard and then a computer randomly selected cards and assigned tickets.  Naturally I didn't get picked but I know someone here that did and I'm getting two of her tickets (you're allowed 4).  Oh well people are looking at me wondering when I'm going to start work because it's 9:35 (we start at 9:00).  Take it easy and I'll write again soon.  Remember to bring out the beets and shine on the garbage or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment