Friday, May 18, 2012

June 15, 1972 (Letter from Chris)



I have an hour to write before I have to leave for work.  It has been a very hectic month since I've been home. I started work immediately at Ronnie's Steak House, and only got a raise to $3.00/hr.  Then I had a lot of trouble getting a day off which I needed.  They said no -- I said "fuck you".  They tried to punish me by taking me off the schedule for two day.s  I tried to tell them that I wasn't playing games, that this was now my permanent job, at lest for awhile.  They didn't take me seriously so I went to look for another job.  And now -- get this -- I am the 2nd Assistant Manager of Steak and Brew in Merrick, L. I.  $10,400/a year start -- 1 week vacation after 6 months -- 2 weeks after 1 year.  It's an interesting job -- nice people -- but long hours. I haven't seen Judy except to go to Herb's sister's wedding *which was OK -- no big deal -- stranger people there.)

Since I am no longer a lonely blue collar worker, I've had to start building up a collection of clothes -- so I go to all the cheapie sales -- shirts $2.99, suits $29.99.  Real fancy!  Huh?

I met a really nice young lady last week.  She was a waitress at the first Steak and Brew where I trained for two weeks.  The relationship started really fast - she was very aggressive.  For three days it built and grew -- and a day later she just went dead -- I mean -- nothing.  It was the strangest fucking thing that's ever happened to me and any girl.  But I should have expected it, because she was (is) very mixed up.  She tried to commit suicide last year -- she's all fucked up with her parents and boyfriend.  So now I haven't talked to her for a while, and I'm becoming more and more aggravated by what happened.  I'm not hurt - I'm just confused and would like to be able to understand her.

So what else is new -- nothing.  No dope here that is exceptional.  I have some really good grass -- never tires you out -- but I paid $25 for a rather small ounce.

Tony was down here visiting Harvey, and Herb, Kenny and I went out to a sleazy  bar with them.  Kenny hates his job -- Herb hasn't got much to say about his yet.

I'm still waiting for the last bills to come from Buffalo.  I got the rent deposit back -- $40 short for various reasons.  (Such as garbage removal, late rent, bad checks, etc etc.)  So it is likely that everyone will owe me some money in the end -- $5 or $7 or so.  I'll let you know later on.

I just sent away for tickets to the Stones concert in July.  I'll never be able to get them -- but at least I'm making the effort.

It's really a drag being out of school, and I get sick every time I think of what I'm missing.  However, I'm going to try to get up to Buffalo once or twice next year.

Boy, it's strange, but I thought I was going to have so much to tell you.  I really miss sitting around the living room like slobs and getting high every night.  Actually I don't miss getting high -- I just miss getting together with people.

Well, I'll try to write something better next time.  I hope you have a fucking great time -- and don't forget to drop a line once in awhile.

Be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment