Friday, October 5, 2012

July 15, 1974 (Letter from Sue)



How are you??!  I've thought of you and spoken (most fondly, of course) of you millions of times -- but it's taken me lo! these three weeks to get around to actually writing.

How was the convention?!  I expect a full report, written in your inimitable style on all of the going, and, of course, comings!  Did you get any good job leads?  Any interesting meetings to go to? Any scandals?!  (Like did George Grant go berserk and try to pay a midnight visit to Sister What's Her Name in her room at the Taft?)  Did you see our friend Sue and her continuing oral history project? Did you see my ex-heart throb Erwin?!!!  (How did he look -- )  How was the bus trip?  How was Blanche?  Did you stay in the Hilton, and who paid?  In short, I want to know everything!

I'm missing Pittsburgh and the exciting low key life at GSLIS, I find -- though I am enjoying SF -- very nice dry sunshine here -

I am not sure at this point whether we will arrive in Pgh before school lets out (though naturally I want to make it back there (no pun intended) before the big PARTY!  We may not arrive till around the 15th -- will you still be there?  Let me know because I really want to see you.

SF, as I said,k is fine -- though I have been put to work (which I feel is practically like being put out to pasture).  Bart said "You work" and so I got a job through a temporary agency which more than ever convinces me that I do not like or want to do secretarial work.   But it's just for a month -- 2 wks of which are already finito, so I'll just bear with it for awhile longer.  The only good thing is that I am pulling in $4 per hour (before taxes, natch).  I started out at $3.25 and had to register a mild complaint about this not being commensurate with my vast skills, poise, experience, intelligence, etc.  So they very fairly raised my pay.

At the same time I am trying to finish my 210 project for Wendell -- I've transcribed one tape plus half of another -- so I have 1 1/2 short ones to go.  What a debilitating job.  No wonder Rosemary Woods lost 18 minutes!  Mainly though, I want to get this thing out of the way and off my back -- I don't like the image of Wendell's spirit continually perched on my shoulder.

I had dinner w/ some Berkeley library school grads the other night-- and frankly, I think our illustrious institution is better for a lot of things.  Cal is a real snob school, completely computer science and academic research library oriented.  The Dean, whom I already hated based upon an infamous application interview, is a real ivory tower man and a swish (as opposed to gay) to boot. They concentrate on its PhDs -- the only good thing about Cal is that there are many, many jobs for the grad students as well as a limitless number of "field research" (like 219, etc( courses to take -- only 1 required course, so you can design your own program -- But -- in terms of faculty -student rapport and accessibility of administrative power within our own school, we are way ahead. At Berkeley the students are discouraged from the very beginning in the possibility of getting jobs, they are left completely to their own devices (you would probably like that), their student organization is even less together than ours (my friends were very impressed with the bus to ALA) -- and Cal has a very racist-sexist-snobbish admissions policy (absolutely no one admitted w less than a 3.0).   Their curriculum meets the students' needs even less than ours, and it sounds as if they have virtually no opportunity for student input into the decision-making system (as Patty Penland would say).

I know Pitt has many failings -- boring and meaningless classes, jerks like B.N. and his OCSC speech to us, etc.  But still, I would rather have gone to Pitt than UC, even if the latter is supposedly ranked 4 or 5 in the nation.

I do hope that life in Pittsburgh is progressing at a merry rate, aside from Lib school.  Have you seen any movies lately?  We saw Polanski's Chinatown recently -- excellent -- good evocation of 30's period w/out being overly nostalgic.  Very powerful, if somewhat despairing film on corruption. I'm reading about 5 books -- or trying to -- Terkel's Hard Times and Agee's Let Us Now Praise Famous Men among them. Also one which you might like -- Erica Jong's Fear of Flying -- a very funny feminist approach to the existential dilemma ("theory of the zipless fuck", which you should appreciate) though a bit overstated at times.

Well, my dear -- I shall close for now.  Please write me -- and tell all!  Especially how much longer you will be in Pittsburgh -- OK --

No comments:

Post a Comment